Hen with eye infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Silkie-lover33, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Silkie-lover33

Silkie-lover33 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

My D'Uccle, Penny seems to have an eye infection. It's been this way for a week and today we just started putting Saint John's Wart oil (antimicrobial and pain reducing) on her eye. She's not eating so we gave her a dilution of goldenseal, tumeric powder, echinacea tincture and evening primrose oil. We plan to make an eyewash with goldenseal tea. I think what started her infection was getting packed in the eye, but I'm not exactly sure. I've seen her scratching it so It mustn't feel very good. Any ideas of what I can do to help her?

[​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If she was pecked in the eye and infection set in, use terramycin eye ointment or neosporin in a pinch. Put the ointment in her eye 3-4 times a day. If there's snotty nostrils, wheezing, facial swelling, gurgling...it could a respiratory disease. Scratching her eye could possibly indicate eyeworm. You can look in her eye and if you see a small threadlike white worm, she has eyeworm...look closely in the corners of her eye. Another possibility is that she may have debris in her eye, flush liberally with saline solution to clear it out, then apply the eye ointment.

3. Silkie-lover33

Today she is doing worse, she just stands around puffed up and sleeps. She's stopped eating and only drinks a little. When she drinks water she takes a long time to swallow and when I looked in her throat and there is a large amount of saliva down there. We just had a chicken die that was acting somewhat like her. When we found it dead it had blood coming out of it's nostrils. I'm started to consider a respiratory problem. I really need help, Penny is one of my absolute favorite hens!!

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Blood coming out of the nostrils from your other hen sounds like ILT...Infectious Laryngotracheitis.
    Here's a link, scroll down and read about:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    Sorry for your loss.

5. Silkie-lover33

I'm thinking she has infectious coryza because her eyes are watery, she seems to have breathing problems, her poop is mostly all watery and she's stopped laying. Have any experience with this disease?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If she has coryza, there would be a foul odor around the head area. No foul odor could be mycoplasme gallisepticum (MG.) See the link in post #4 and read about MG.

7. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I saw your post yesterday, and my first thought was that it was respiratory. But since you seemed more or less sure it was an injury I didn't post.

Because you lost another hen I think you can be sure it is something respiratory. If it's coryza you'll smell something awful from her beak/nostrils. I doubt that's what you have. Check out dawg53's link to ILT. Do the symptoms sound familiar?

You may need the state vet to get involved to find out what's going on.

8. Silkie-lover33

Penny's mouth/nostrils have an unpleasant odor about them... It smells like wet wood and something dead (??). Today her eyelid had a yellowish crust on it and the other eye seems pretty watery. We've been giving her homeopathic meds; Euphasia, Hypericun and Allium w/ water in a dropper 5 time a day. Tomorrow we might be getting some of the things suggested for coryza from our local feed store. ILT does seem to be a lot like what other chickens we've had got had (all of these chickens died except Runt who has been stunted) with the "pump handle respiration", lack of voice and dieing from clogged trachea. We bird swapped with a friend of ours and one of the birds tended to "yawn" a lot. I was actually lifting up it's head and opening it's mouth to breath. We've had many chickens die mysteriously since then. Well, I'm heading off for a stroll around town. It's nice to have some warm weather.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Foul odor = coryza. Homeopathic meds are useless against coryza. Sulmet used in conjunction with tylan should help. She will remain a carrier and pass the disease to others if she survives. Your other option is to cull.

10. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    It sounds like your hens have a serious respiratory illness, whether is's ILT, coryza or something else. IF they survive they will likely be carriers. If you want to keep your current birds you will have to close your flock (no hatching, no new birds).

You should contact your state vet to determine the cause of your problem (by necropsy), so you definitely know what you're dealing with and what to do about it.

BTW, ILT is a reportable illness in Oregon.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by