Hen With Featherless Bum

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JacobMaxwell, Feb 26, 2013.

1. JacobMaxwell

JacobMaxwell Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    [​IMG]

For a while now one of my hens has had a completely bare bum area. I have watched her and the rest of the chickens for extended periods of time and I didn't see any pecking going on. As you can see from the photo the area is slightly brused. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse or better.

2. JacobMaxwell

Feb 1, 2013
    I was hoping for some advice. [​IMG]

3. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    from our experience, it happens when they roost, of course at night. It happened last fall, it seems to have gotten better now for they all have fluffy butts again. There are ointments that you can use, but didn't seem to be much help for us.

4. JacobMaxwell

Feb 1, 2013
    How much longer would you say before the bum gets re-feathered?

5. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    You are not alone.I have a pullet that has a bare bottom also.i bought her in the house and gave her a warm epsom salts soak.and put some salve on her.that was a few weeks ago.and her bottom is still bald.

6. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    honestly, about 3 months, butt [​IMG] they didn't seem to be any worse for the wear.

7. Irishgirl

Irishgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Middle Earth
    From what I've heard, I'm pretty sure your hens are molting

8. JacobMaxwell

Feb 1, 2013
    She's been like this for more than two weeks (probably three). If she was molting, I would most certainly see some new feather sheaths by now.

9. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    i would say the other chickens are pecking those feathers and maybe she is even pecking a few of her own. the molt is over and spring is coming. this is when the feather is at its best. let your bird free range away from the other chickens and i would bet she would look better in a month or two.

10. JacobMaxwell

Feb 1, 2013
    They could be pecking when I'm not looking, but as I said in the original post, I've watched them allot and haven't witnessed any hostilities. I usually let them free range for half an hour or so each day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by