Hen with flopped over comb and dirty bottom, plus wormer question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Drk_Wlf, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Drk_Wlf

Drk_Wlf Songster

May 11, 2009
    Chautauqua County, NY
    I have noticed that for the past week or so one of my hens has a flopped over comb and it's not as bright as it use to be, she has a bare bottom with no feathers because of some pecking issues I was having and there is droppings running in a line down her bottom, so I think she may have diarrhea. The pecking in the flock seems to have subsided now that they are in a bigger coop and allowed free range of my backyard during the day, but my hen still looks to have diarrhea and when I picked her up to put her in the coop for the night she felt skinny compared to her flock mates. I see her eating grass and such when she is wondering around the yard and her behavior is normal.

I also think my hens may have round worms, so I bought some wazine, but it says not to give it to laying hens. Does anyone know how long I can't eat their eggs if I give them some of the wazine, or is there an alternative wormer I can use.

Please Help!

Thank You

2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Have you checked for mice or lice? I *think* they can cause chickens to loose feathers. If you suspect worms, it may be the reason behind the diarrhoea. Sorry I can't be of more help [​IMG]

I've done some searching about Wazine, and it says it is only for chickens aged 4-16 weeks. You could try and buy some Flubenvet, or Verm -X (although, Verm-X is said to be a preventative rather than used for curing worms. It has no egg withdrawal period, but I think Flubenvet does).

sorry I can't be of more help [​IMG]

3. Drk_Wlf

Drk_Wlf Songster

May 11, 2009
    Chautauqua County, NY
    Definitely not mites or lice I check them almost daily and not all of them are missing feathers, two of the hens seem to be the ones bulling the others.

I will look into the wormers you suggested, thank you

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You already bought the wazine, use it. Throw the eggs in the garbage for 2 weeks, after that they will be safe to eat. Natural wormers are preventatives, not treatments.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by