Hen with frothy bubbles in and around eyes

Chickmunk

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 20, 2015
Oklahoma
So I have a hen that has frothy bubbles in and around her eyes, and one of her eyes looks slightly too far back, and I know she gets picked on a little, but I'm starting to get worried.
The bubbles get so bad they completely cover her eyes and I have to gently wipe her eyes with a warm wash cloth.
I've also noticed she's a little thin.
Any cause for this, and how can I fix it?

Foam in the eyes can be from a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma (MG,) or could be from the pecking or injury to the eyes. I would separate her in a pen near the other chickens. Vetericyn Eye Gel or Eye Wash, although pricey , is good for applying to the eyes to help prevent infection. Clean the eyes with saline or warm compresses to her eyes. Does she smell bad, have nasal drainage, or cough or sneeze? If you suspect a respiratory disease, then antibiotics such as Tylan or oxytetracycline may help treat symptoms. Here is a handy reference for respiratory and common diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I had a Easter egg-er that was like that for about 3-4 weeks maybe a little longer, but it was caused by a lot of irritation (in this case the irritation was caused by lice) the chicken also lost a lot of feathers and was starting to look like a zombie.

but it did get better-maybe quarantine her?

I've separated her for now, but she doesn't smell, cough, or sneeze. She does have a few scabs around her eyes from getting pecked, though.

Tractor Supply and other feed stores carry it, but sometimes you have to ask a clerk for it since they lock it up because of shoplifters. Vetericyn Eye Gel or Eye Wash may also be found at most feed stores.

Okay, I've gotten the Terramycin, but I'm not quite sure how to use it. And now, her left eye is almost completely swollen shut.

Gently open the eye and apply a small line of the ointment inside her bottom lid, and massage slightly to get the ointment to melt in her eye. Use twice daily for up to a week.

Back
Top Bottom