Hen with gash on neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FringeLore, Feb 9, 2013.

1. FringeLore

FringeLore Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2012
    I discovered a gash in the neck of one of my Hens this afternoon. So far I've trimmed the feathers around the wound rinsed off with warm water and put some Bactine on it. Any other suggestions? She seems very lethargic at the moment. I'm not sure whether this is normal posttraumatic behavior or whether there something else going on.

2. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

do you know how she was injured? Is the wound fresh? Has she lost alot of blood? Best to keep her warm - i would bring her inside for a bit and see how she does....can you post a picture?

3. FringeLore

Sep 3, 2012
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

4. FringeLore

Sep 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

This shows the wound a bit more. The wet looking feathers is the bactine.

5. FringeLore

Sep 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

She has a little cut by her ear causing swelling and causing her to only open that eye when she has to.

6. FringeLore

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't know how she was injured. Possibly a stray cat in the area. We've never had a problem with that before though. It happened sometime this morning although the blood looks decently dried this point.

7. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Let her sleep thur the night ( unless u don't think she will make it) an then tomorrow have a bet check her out cause it could be a snake

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Looks like a weasel or other small animal bite. Being lethargic suggests to me infection. Get her on antibiotic with water. Keep her in a location that is not cold.

Determine if a predator has or can get into where birds are kept. Potential is for this to affect other birds and outright lossed can occur.

9. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

poor thing :-(

10. FringeLore

Sep 3, 2012
    Update: I kept her warm in a blanket all afternoon and she perked up. By late afternoon she was eating and drinking again. She's locked in the coop for the night and we'll see how things look in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by