Hen with green poop; lethargy; won’t eat.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Barredrock92, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Barredrock92

Barredrock92 In the Brooder

Apr 21, 2019
    Alabama
    Hi there,

I’ve got an older barred rock who’s pooping shades of green watery/mucus-y poop. She’s a bit lethargic, hasn’t eaten much at all today, but did lay an egg like normal. She had bits of a scrambled egg and some nutridrench but her crop is basically empty. We’re on day 3 of Corid and no changes for her. I dewormed her today so I’m hoping for improvement by tomorrow but I’m still trying to find a possible cause.

Note: a few days ago I had a pullet roo that had a sudden decline, lethargy, sleepiness, thirst, not eating, labored breathing, and green poop. His was solid and normal looking just dark green, had bits of grass clippings in it. He did not make it sadly, and I’m trying to nail down what it could have been so that I can possibly stop it from spreading.

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!

I included pictures of the hens droppings below

Attached Files:

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. How does the crop feel on your hen? Cannyou also check it first thing in the morning before she has eaten or drunk anything? Can you look her over under her vent and elsewhere for lice or mites? I would continue the NutriDrench 2-3 ml daily for the next several days. Wet chicken feed, plus a little egg and a spoonful of yogurt or buttermilk would be good to try and coax her to eat. Is she getting around okay, walking normally?

Edited to say that thiamine or vitamin B 1 (in the NutriDrench) should not be given at the same time as Corid, but as soon as the Corid is finished, you can resume it. You may also now give some undiluted Corid 0.1 ml per pound twice a day for the next 2 days to give an extra boost.

3. Barredrock92

Apr 21, 2019
    Alabama
    Eggcessive-

Her crop is basically empty and it’s about time to roost for the night, so I know she hasn’t eaten enough. No lice or mites, she just got a permethrin dusting not long ago. She’ll walk and sit, and run away if I get close, but she’s nowhere near as active as she was a few days ago.

She’s got some yogurt and feed out now, she’s quarantined inside. I’ll try mash as well!

Good to know. I’ll start the nutridrench when the Corid is finished.

Eggcessive likes this.
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hopefully, she will start to eat soon.

Barredrock92 likes this.
  5. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Are those mealworms in the poop or is it bubbles?

6. cluckmecoop7

cluckmecoop7 Crowing

Jan 4, 2019
    NE USA
    Looks like meal worms...but there are bubbles, too.

Barredrock92 likes this.
  7. Barredrock92

Apr 21, 2019
    Alabama
    Just some dried mealworms :thumbsup

007Sean likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: