hen with hard mass below vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gonda, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Gonda

Gonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    I have a young hen that has not been quite herself lately. Still eating and active to a point, outside in the run daily, but today sitting around with her eyes closed frequently. I was watching her for a while and noticed that she seemed to be straining, as if to get rid of an egg or something. After she was on the roost tonight, I checked her over thoroughly. Crop was not full, soft stomach, and couldn't feel anything in the vent. I was thinking possibly she was egg bound, as she hasn't been laying the last few days. But I couldn't feel anything internally with gloved lubricated finger inside the vent. But, she has a large very hard mass below the vent. It wasn't boggy, as if it was fluid filled, just plain hard. Any idea what that might be?

I soaked her bottom in warm salt water for about 30 min. and gave her an antibiotic injection, from something I had from a visit to the vet for another chicken a while ago. I applied proctesedyl ointment (a corticosteroid/antibiotic ointment) to the area. She was happy to get back up on the roost afterwards. I'm very much hoping to see improvement tomorrow, but wow, that's such a hard mass, I really wonder what that is and whether it can be reduced. I'm out of ideas, other than thinking it's an abscess. She reacted when I pressed hard, but I had to press fairly hard to get the reaction.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  2. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    possibly an absyss or maybe egg bound like you first thought

Hope she gets better soon [​IMG]

Good Luck!

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    They only way I know for sure to find an abcess is to lance it, and see what spews forth. Could be that an edd got twisted in her plumbing, you may need to examine her vent.

4. Gonda

Nov 14, 2009
    I did check inside her vent thoroughly and felt nothing unusual along the tract nor further up. The mass seems seems to be totally separate from the tract, and is below the vent. She's outside in the run acting normal right now, eating scratch. I'll re-examine her tonight when she's on the roost again, and will keep an eye on her today.

5. Gonda

Nov 14, 2009
    I had a chance to have another look this morning. I'm quite sure now that it's a prolapsed vent. So, I'm wondering if I can still reverse it at this stage, now that it's so hard and dry. I'll keep applying the hemorrhoid cream and do warm salt water soaks. I don't know if it's possible to soften it up again, at this stage. She is sitting around sleeping most of the morning again. I did another internal check and the passage feels normal, and there was soft stool in the passage.

[​IMG]

I wish I'd caught it earlier, but she wasn't really showing any symptoms until yesterday. Does anyone have experience with catching a prolapsed vent at this stage, when it's already hardened and dry?

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    It's difficult to tell from the pic but to me, that doesn't look like a prolapse. If it is, though, and it's dry...no, she will not recover. The most humane thing would be to put her down, I'm sorry to say.

Even if you could get it to retract, once they prolapse, they typically are prone to it, and it'll just be a matter of time before it just won't stay in any longer. I'm sorry.

7. Gonda

Nov 14, 2009
    That's not good news. Kind of what I was afraid of, but was hoping it would be worth a try.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  8. Gonda

Nov 14, 2009
    Well, I changed my diagnosis. After soaking the hen's bottom in warm salt water for a few days in a row and applying ointment to try to soften the mass, nothing seemed to change. It remained hard and solid. I had also given her antibiotic injections for 4 days in a row. I concluded that it must not be a prolapsed vent after all, but perhaps a tumor, so I stopped the soaks and the antibiotics. She has since remained mobile, running and walking as usual, is outside all day, seems to be eating and drinking, but she falls asleep a lot during the day. Still jumps up on the roost with no problem, to the top row of the roosting ladder.

Today I decided to check her bottom again, and was surprised to find that the mass is smaller, and it seems there is a hard dry black eschar on the surface, which seems to be lifting off and there might be clean, healthy skin underneath, from what I could see. So, that gives me hope again. Maybe an abscess after all. I decided to resume the warm water soaks to get that black scab off. The thing that worries me still though is that she is still so sleepy. Her eyes are so small most of the day and they close easily. She can open them wide, but then quickly drops off. For the rest, her energy level, in terms of feistyness and strength when I handle her, seems normal. It would be so nice if she would recuperate fully and start laying again. Any chance of that happening, do you think? I've put some colloidal silver in the water (to kill bacteria), and apple cider vinegar and vitamins to help her heal.

9. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    good news she's getting better! It appears that the antibiotics are doing the job. keep the area clean and dry and as long as there is no oozing or pus HOORAY!

10. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I have a hen with something similar and know this is old but what wondering what the outcome was? I have pictures but they are very graphic. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by