hen with hiccups?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by key west chick, Dec 15, 2008.

1. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    My 7 month old araucana hen has what sounds like hiccups. At first I thought she was sneezing but now it sounds more like a hiccup. She's been doing it for weeks. Nothing else, just funny little noises. Should I try scaring her? Make her drink water upside down? Just joking but anybody have a chicken with chronic hiccups?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My Lilith has chronic hiccups. I haven't tried any human tricks for hiccups yet. They don't seem to bother her.

3. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    "A teaspoon of sugar makes the medicine go down"..er, hiccups go away. Worth a try I suppose. [​IMG] A tsp of sugar always helps my hiccups go away. [​IMG]

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Are you sure it's not sneezing. When mine sneeze it sounds kind if like a hiccup. I know that when a mammal hiccups it is because the muscles of the diaphram are "out of rythm." Do chickens even have diaphrams?

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I've heard (and seen) both the hiccups and the sneezing and they are different. I have no idea what mechanism causes their hiccups, but they do get them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by