Hen with Hurt ear?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChookCluck, Nov 9, 2011.

1. ChookCluck

ChookCluck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    I have a bantam with a hurt ear. It is crusted with blood, and has been like this for about a week now. I can only assume that she has scratched it on something or one of the others pecked her ear. I don't really know what to do to help her...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend that you seperate her from the others. Snugly wrap a towel around your bantam and lay her on the side up with the bloody ear facing you. If the blood is coming from inside the ear, use an eyedropper filled with hydrogen peroxide and fill her ear up with the liquid. It will bubble up, gently wipe the bloody liquid away with Q-tips or napkins. Remove some of the cotton from the tip of a Q-tip and try to stick it in her ear to absorb the rest of the hydrogen peroxide. Be gentle, it doesnt have to go all the way in to absorb the liquid. Next, place the tip of a tube of neosporin just inside her ear and squeeze. Fill her ear up all the way. Then place her back in a cage or crate for a day or two for observation. After a couple of days, her ear should be fine, then release her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by