Hen with hurt leg?? walking funny....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 7cluckers, Oct 17, 2011.

1. 7cluckers

7cluckers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2010
    I have a 17 month old hen show I noticed today was walking "funny" when the girls were outside grazing. She would take a few steps and then act like she wanted to sit down, but then get up to walk again. It looked like she was (possibly) favoring one leg, but it wasn't obvious. I picked her up and tried to feel for a broken leg (any advice on how to do this would be helpful!) but she wasn't squawking or acting like she was in pain. I watched her walk around the kitchen and she was pecking around, interested in the surroundings, and then would go to almost sit down again. sometimes she would hold her foot up against her body.

Anyone seen this before or can give me any help on what I should do? I put her back in the coop for the night but think I will pull her inside tomorrow to keep an eye on her. Any advice would be helpful!

2. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    anyone?

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    If she is still having problems, I would check first for bumblefoot, then also for scaly leg mites. If you do a search on both of these, you will find a wealth of information about how to identify and treat both of these, including pictures to help you ID these. On inspection, do you notice anything at all unusual about her foot or leg? Perhaps posting a picture would help others on here see what the problem is.

4. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
  5. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    Is she laying consistently? Almost sounds like she is trying to 'squat'

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by