hen with impacted crop now has bloody nostril: UPDATE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Floc Quebecois, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Floc Quebecois

Floc Quebecois Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    hi guys!

my Easter had an impacted crop and has been "living" with us in a dog cage with a heating pad for a week now... Her crop was really bad: the size of a tennis ball!!! And sooooo hard... But, every few hours, every day, we've been massaging her, giving her olive oil, feeding her baby food, yoghurt, etc... and water with electrolytes and acv... She's all better now: today her crop was totally flat!... But then, i realized today that it looks like one of her nostrils has something like dry blood around it... She doesn't sneeze... Eats and drinks... She's getting really anxious about having more room to move/she's really active... She was coughing after eating when we moved her in but we thought it was because of her crop; she still does it once in a while after eating but her crop has been back to normal for a day and a half only... Beside for the dry small amount of red/blood by her nose, she doesn't have any discharge...

Could it be that is too dry in the cage because of the heating pad? What else could it be since she's been by herself for a week and didn't have it when we moved her inside?[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. mammat

mammat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    columbus ohio
    I would not worry. Just put her back out. Watch though..the others may not want her back.

3. Floc Quebecois

Floc Quebecois Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    So Easter is coming back to normal. I thought i would post an update...
    She has a much better crop... We had to start all over again since i think i went back to her normal feed to fast...

The only thing is: she still coughs! It was one of the things that made me looked at her at first. I thought she would cough to disloged whatever was stuck in there but since, she hasn't stopped! It's not that bad. She is not doing it all the time... Not even during the night... But i wonder if it's safe for my other girls to put her back in the coop. What do you guys think?

Any idea/suggestion on why she is still coughing is welcome!

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by