Hen with incoordination, one eye swollen shut--lymphoid leukosis???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TexChix2, Jun 26, 2010.

1. TexChix2

TexChix2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2010
    I have a hen (Hecate--she's all black). She has never been a great eater, (nor a great layer), but, man, does that girl talk and talk. A little over a week ago I noticed her stumbling. Then increasingly I would find her laying in the dirt (head up and alert). All the feathers are gone from her back between her wings, and, given the heat,I assumed she was molting. She now has to struggle to get up but can still sprint across the yard. She'll stand for a minute or two put then fold her legs down again and just sit. She has always had a curious habit of closing her eyes whenever we pick her up, but now she has one eye alert and clear and the other is swollen shut, but dry--no discharge. She used to be fine with being picked up but now she fights so hard I can barely keep a hold of her. Her wings are super strong and she definitely does NOT want to be touched. Her breathing seemed labored after I finally decided to set her apart in the chicken tractor this morning, but I'd be breathing heavy too in 90 degree plus heat after fighting like that. Her poop is slightly loose, but not runny. It's brown with slimes of green running through it.

I think she's declining.

I had a hen die in January from something that made her progressively weaker, though I don't recall it looking quite like this. Hecate (my black hen) has been alert but weak legged. Athena (the hen who died in January) became lethargic and declined.

Now I'm looking at my Amerucana (Aphrodite) whom I thought was just molting (she hasn't laid in over two weeks) and am a little worried about her losing feathers in the same spot on her back as Hecate. This morning she started laying around more than strolling with the others.

Is this Lymphoid leukosis? (Eye tumor?) Marek doesn't seem likely since all my girls are close to or over a year old. Do I need to separate the Amerucana also? I realize it would be smart to change out all the shavings in the laying boxes and the coop (they poop onto trays which we rinse off every couple of days). Will I only know what this is by having my hen examined "post mortem"?

Any help???

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I dont think so.....LLV does show up in many birds and some could be inherited. They do not show eye signs. Just bloatness like if they were egg bound, swollen abdomens. When you open them up, you would see tumors in the abdominal regions.

My wild guess, fowl pox?

3. TexChix2

TexChix2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2010
    Wouldn't her skin have red marks then? Her exposed skin on her back is white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by