1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen with infection of shell gland, vet told me to stop her from laying- how?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by muscovylove, Jul 31, 2013.

1. muscovylove

muscovylove Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    Portland, OR
    I might have posted about this lady before- 2 year old naked neck, started laying shell-less and tiny eggs in the spring, listless at times, but not "sick". She would breath with her mouth open, gaping- I even treated her for gapeworm. Finally took her to a vet, and vet assumed she had a respiratory infection and gave her Clavamox. My hen improved while on the Clavamox, but on the 2nd day off of the meds, she was right back to having listless days, standing with eyes closed at times, and doing the mouth open breathing. I picked her up and out plopped a pinkish hard peanut sized mass, so I gave up and took her to thee Avian vet here in town. Worry about costs later, I guess.
    Avian vet diagnosed her with a serious infection of the shell gland, and she had a bunch of masses (hardened egg yolks?) inside of her that she removed manually.
    More antibiotics, but she should improve.
    Now- I'm supposed to prevent her from laying until next spring, and it's August about now. HOW??
    Anyone have experience with this?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Interesting that a vet would give this instruction and not tell you how to do this. The only thing I know of that would stop her for months is surgery. I'm actually wondering whether you misunderstood, or she misspoke, and the message was that what she did should stop the hen from laying for some months. Just a guess.

Sometimes you can temporarily stop a hen from laying by putting her in a darkened, quiet place for a day or two. Obviously you don't want to do this for months on end.

Her having a bunch of "hardened egg yolks" inside suggests to me she is what we call an internal layer. Unfortunately, this is fairly common, expecially in hens who have been bred for high egg production. There are a bunch of threads about it here. There is no cure for internal laying other than surgery. Here is a post from someone who has experience with it:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/79443/tell-me-about-your-internal-layers/80_20#post_6235380

3. muscovylove

Mar 17, 2013
    Portland, OR
    I'm on my way to talk to her right now.. will keep you posted! I've read that thread, the 1st vet I went to didn't think it was internal laying as there was no swelling, but she was wrong. I'm renaming this chicken 'Money'..

4. muscovylove

Mar 17, 2013
    Portland, OR
    Spoke with vet today, my hen has a uterine infection, and is not an internal layer. She still has a few small lumps of egg material, but they aren't yolks. Regarding getting her to stop laying, she recommended a forced molt, but just limiting food to a third of normal amount. I really wish I had taken my girl in much sooner. This one is a favorite, and I'm fine with her not laying anymore, I just don't want her to suffer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by