Hen with injured foot - help please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HarborGirl, Mar 16, 2017.

1. HarborGirl

HarborGirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2011
    I have a small flock of 4 hens. My favorite hen (of course) got injured two weeks ago. She got her leg stuck in some garden netting while I was out for the day. I think she fought with it a lot and just tangled herself up worse. Anyway, when I found her she was on her back and her leg appeared broken. I disentangled her and brought her in. Luckily she didn't have any broken skin. I cleaned her up and splinted her leg as best I could. She got her own special place in the coop away from the other three and spent two weeks being treated like a princess. She's been happy and eating well.

Fast forward two weeks. I took her cast off yesterday and was hoping she'd be eager to use that leg again. But she just kind of sits on it. If I put her out in the yard and encourage her to come to me with treats she hobbles a few steps but her foot just dangles. She doesn't seem to have any control of her foot at all. She steps on it and trips herself with every step. So now I'm thinking that her leg itself wasn't broken but her foot is definitely badly injured. Any advice on what I can do? Or what I should search the forums for?

She's the sweetest, gentlest of any hens I've ever had. I hate that she's hurt.

2. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    It will likely need to be seen by a vet. Hard to give any advice when we can't see what is going on.

3. HarborGirl

Sep 17, 2011
    Unfortunately that's not an option or I would've done that two weeks ago. Closest vet that I've found that will see poultry is 70 miles from me.

4. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Can you post a few pics of her leg/foot?

5. HarborGirl

Sep 17, 2011
    [​IMG]

6. HarborGirl

Sep 17, 2011
    [​IMG]
    This is the first time it's looked open and swollen.

7. HarborGirl

Sep 17, 2011
    I made an appointment for her with the vet that's 70 miles away. But they can't see her until Sunday afternoon so any advice is appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by