Hen with injuries from bad dog!!! Bare necked

Suzanne in AL

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 10, 2010
My hen has very little skin on her neck{. about 70% missing,} Im not sure what meds to use for birds. Im afraid Im going to kill her with kindness!!! Please help!!!!

First, be sure to calm her down so she doesn't succumb to shock. If she doesn't mind being held in your lap, be in a quiet calm place with her and gently keep telling her it will be okay. If you have or can get Rescue Remedy, a drop or two in her water may help with calming. Electroltyes are important for shock/stress so you might spritz a bit of Pedialtye on watermelon or some other treat that you know she really likes (after she's calmed down).

As to the wound, if you can post pics if will help folks help you. First and foremost though, get your hen beyond initial shocky behavior (perhaps she already is, not sure when this happened).

JJ (jjthink most of the time)

Sorry for so little info. It happened yesterday. She is actually a pet chicken so she is in my bathroom now. I was amazed by the fact she never got shocky. She has let me clean it and put topical {neosporin} I need to know if what I have to "grow hide" for dogs will be ok for her. Thanks jj

Last edited:
I had a chicken not long ago that was scalped by a larger rooster, there was no skin on the head & I swear what I was seeing was the brain, she has since fully recovered with the use of Neosporin & being kept in the house so flies couldnt' get on it. Good luck.

Oh there was no way to pull the skin back together on mine so I wasn't able to stitch or apply "new skin"

I don't know about the doggie stuff but others coming along will hopefully weigh on on what has worked best for them.
I hope your girl will heal nicely. If you can keep the area free of infection and if she stays hydrated and nourished, odds are very good all will be well. If she gets infected she may need oral or injectible antibiotic in addition to topical neosporin.
JJ

Back
Top Bottom