Hen with jiggy, bloody stool again! *picture

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fosterfarm, Jul 23, 2011.

1. fosterfarm

fosterfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2009
    We have a hen that has been isolated at night from the others for a long time, she has been through a lot. We had a large growth removed from her ear last year, and she thinks she is more of a house cat than a hen and doesn't get along very well with the others (they pick on her). Anyway, all of our hens are fully free range, no fences, and this girl joins them all during the day. We have no idea if she has eaten anything strange in the yard. Her behaviour the last couple of days has been pretty lethargic, but again it has been extremely hot, so we aren't sure if her behaviour is an indicator of anything. She has been eating well. We are giving her powdered antibiotics and electrolytes in her water. This is the second time that she has had pooh like this. The last time was about 2 months ago. She stopped laying eggs after it happened last time. Has anyone seen this before? Is there anything that can be done?

Here's a picture of the scary poop!
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm thinking that is from her reproductive tract rather than being feces. This would explain her cessation of laying.

3. fosterfarm

Jul 26, 2009
    Do you think that she is in any danger? It doesn't matter to us if she quits laying, but we don't want her to get sick. [​IMG]

4. fosterfarm

Jul 26, 2009
    This morning she has bled some more with her pooh, and had another giant clot looking thing come out! [​IMG] Please help! Is this going to kill the poor girl?

5. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Oh my I’m so sorry I can't help but I'm defiantly keeping her in my thoughts. [​IMG]

6. fosterfarm

Jul 26, 2009
    Thank you, that's sweet. She's sitting comfortably on an old sweater right now...just relaxing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by