Hen with leg problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dmccann, Oct 6, 2011.

1. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    This is 18 mo old hen amber link,i went into the coop this morning to give the 11 girls some cooked oatmeal.They were excited and one hen jumped on the links back,when the amber link moved awayshe was trying to balance with her wing,leg up on that side.I have her seperated now in a cat carrier,i do not know when this happened if it happened during the nite or when the other hen jumped on her.they have a closed in run the last night check was 7 o clock,cause i was sick. I will wash her leg to check for injuries,any help please Update washed her feet the one she holds up seems ok no swelling while the one she is keeping down seems puffy on the bottom????/

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  2. dmccann

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    I just in the coop for the 500 th time today,it is amazing how much pain we can be in and still c are for our animal friends,she was putting some weight on her leg,still in cat carrier,i am ready to take her to my chriopractor when i go tomorrow if she does not keep improving,lol.I really hope it was just a push and shove between the girls.,

3. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    poor girl, hope her leg improves quickly! I have read elsewhere here about sprains...hopefully that's all it is!

4. dmccann

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    I hope so too,Thx

5. GoldDogsMom

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I had just sent you a pm about your pink tote bag and then I clicked on buy now...not sure what to do now...

6. dmccann

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    Upon soaking my hens feet i noticed a dk brown spot on each foot ,bumble foot?

7. GoldDogsMom

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    got a pic?

8. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    I am not sure about the dark spots but maybe take her out of the cat carrier so that she can work that leg a little bit and stretch it. Hubby accidentially placed my 5gal waterer on a chickens leg the other day and she wasn't right for a while but "walked it off". Good luck to you!

9. Frenchchickens123

Frenchchickens123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Hi, I have had a few hens have the same problem. I don't know how they manage it but they do. My RIR hurt her leg and was limping badly but after a couple of weeks she was walkin normally again. My current one is taking longer but is slowly getting better. I tend to do what you have done checking for swelling injuries etc and just leave them. If she's putting a bit of weight on it then sounds like she should be okay. With the brown spots ae they on the bottom of the feet? Is it slightly swollen around them? If it is possibly bumblefoot I would get straight on that. I have had it and it took 6 months to get it sorted.... I found the best method was keeping them on shavings and gently scrubbing the scab with a nail brush dipped in very weak bleach solution. I did this twice a day for a month and it was what did the trick compared to all the other methods I tried. It's best to keep a hen separated if it is bumblefoot as it will spread to other hens. It might be a good idea to clean/disinfect the coop to kill any staph bacteria left, which is what causes bumblefoot. I hope she gets better soon and you too :) if you can post some pics of the scab it would be helpful :) hope this has helped a bit

10. dmccann

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    Thx i was able to soak her foot in e salts and remove the scab nothing else came out,i have it wrapped and she is in the cat carrier,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by