Hen with leg problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by janeken, Jan 7, 2013.

1. janeken

janeken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2012
    bedford virginia
    I have a hen with a swollen leg/foot that has two slices through it? It wasn't there yesterday. Can someone advise? It's not easy getting the best shot on a moving chicken especially in the early AM. Poor Mama girl
    [​IMG]

2. CottonGinWaste

CottonGinWaste Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    Mobile, AL
    I recommend isolating her in a confined, controlled (ie clean) space. Gently wash the leg. I got Chlorhexidine (sp?) from my vet last summer when I needed to treat some traumas, comes as soap and as rinse. Follow up with generous antibiotic ointment (Walmart has it cheap, I went thru a dozen tubes). Do morning and night. If wounds are not on weight bearing surfaces I don't recommend wrapping it. If wound stays clean and her appetite is good, maybe you can avoid antibiotics.

3. janeken

Jun 1, 2012
    bedford virginia
    Thank you very much for your reply. Very strange, the cuts are pretty deep, but there is no bleeding at all? I washed it out and applied triple antibiotic ointment and will twice daily. She is eating and drinking fine. All three were out yesterday pretty deep into the woods and wonder if she got it hung up somewhere. I looked in their pen and don't see any blood anywhere??? I'll watch it and if it's any worse throughout the week I'll call the vet.
    Thanks again!!!!

4. CottonGinWaste

Dec 26, 2012
    Mobile, AL
    I think a chicken's legs/feet are mainly tendinous fibers covered by leathery fascia; think of your own feet from the heel forward. Only the arteries and arterioles would continue to bleed after being cut, and they pretty much lie along the bone and are tiny that far from the heart. (I cut one at my own finger once, at the last joint - seeped blood for 3-4 days despite a light pressure bandage!)

5. janeken

Jun 1, 2012
    bedford virginia
    I'm sure you're right, that makes sense. Unfortunately, I am allergic to all types of Chrlorhexidine. I will do a watch and see approach and hope for the best. Thanks

6. CottonGinWaste

Dec 26, 2012
    Mobile, AL
    I'd use a saline rinse and then coat with the abx ointment if Chlorhexidine isn't an option; sorry you're allergic, must have been unpleasant finding out . . .

7. janeken

Jun 1, 2012
    bedford virginia
    Alright, I will....Yeah, from face to torso unpleasantry on top of surgery, still vivid in my memory...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by