1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen with lump on lower back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Screebert, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Screebert

Screebert Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2007
    Oregon City, OR
    Our hen had a prolapsed egg chute, for an unknown length of time. She became very ill over the past few days, and we had to put her down yesterday. She had a strange hump on her lower back for a few months, and I am wondering whether that was a symptom of something? Like, an egg stuck there?
    We do not want this to happen again, and we would like to catch it earlier if it happens to another chicken.

This is my post from yesterday: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=482028

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    from all I've read when a hen is egg bound they don't last long unless she can pass it, what you saw could have been an tumor or even an abscess, did you ever examine her up close? I am sorry for you loss, but at age 5 it could have be a number of things. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by