hen with "mating wounds"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LaynaDon95, Mar 30, 2012.

1. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    My poor RIR hen is the rooster's favorite. I noticed she was losing feathers on her back from being mated so often. I picked her up to look at her back and noticed she has a small wound on her side. I know they can get infected and I've heard of it killing hens. Should I be worried about her? I put some ointment on it. I don't have a hen apron and don't know where to get one. What else should I do?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    This thread has a couple of links to places to get chicken aprons: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/644086/wing-damage-saddles-roosters#post_8679834

Keep putting an ointment like bacitracin or neosporin on the wound. Make sure the ointment you chose does not have some ingredient like lidocaine or benzocaine in it. Check the wound regularly to make sure other chickens are not pecking at it, or just to be safe you may choose to separate her until the wound is scabbed over. Chickens generally heal really well.

3. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    No one is pecking at it. It's really small and covered by feathers. I just don't want it to get bigger or infected. I'm contemplating separating her until she's healed to give her poor sides a break. Thank you for the link. :)

4. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Wow! Those things are cheap! I'm ordering 2!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would also recommend trimming the rooster's toe nails and removing or 'blunting' his spurs.

6. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    X2

X2 They do heal up really well as I had a BR ripped up pretty bad with a piece of skin more than an inch square torn away but she healed up quick and re-feathered. She regrew skin in the spot that was torn as the torn piece dried up. She even never stopped laying during the whole. Man,chickens get my respect.[​IMG]

7. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    How to you trim chicken's nails? And his spurs aren't very sharp. How do you blunt them? They are pretty rounded already. (unlike some that I've seen. Some of them are scary looking.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by