Hen with nose congestion?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JakRat, Dec 23, 2011.

1. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I got a new hen today, and she was fine. Then when we got her into the heated truck she started to sound clogged up. She is still sounding a bit stuffy... nothing really draining, but almost like she is wheezing a bit or something. Its almost like when you go in and out of the heat and you get a runny nose. The gentleman I bought the hen from had a healthy flock. She did not start this sound until we got in the truck... any ideas? Apple cider vinegar? Tylan? Anti Biotics?

2. GreenMeadows

GreenMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    maybe antibotics and try that and if it gets worse Tylan. Listed to her chest to see if its rattly?
    Quote:

3. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:
    seems to just be in her nose. I gave her a drop of tylan this morning. It seems more like an allergy thingy but I am catching it early if it is anything. I am going to put antibiotics in the water today just to be sure.

4. GreenMeadows

GreenMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    Good luck!
    Quote:
    seems to just be in her nose. I gave her a drop of tylan this morning. It seems more like an allergy thingy but I am catching it early if it is anything. I am going to put antibiotics in the water today just to be sure.

5. you said there was zero drainage..just rattly a bit?

Watch for other signs of gape worms...probably just an allergy, but you never know.

6. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:She is a little bit runny... but not dripping or anything. I really think it was the going from cold outside then into the hot truck. Duramayacin is in the water today and tylan was given to the little lady.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by