Hen with one eye closed --

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 10xmama, Aug 7, 2014.

1. 10xmama

10xmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Our most beloved hen (16m old) seems to have an eye issue or illness. She is behaving mostly normal … eating and drinking and socializing as best I can tell. BUT she is keeping one eye closed. This started yesterday. It opens occasionally and appears normal. Any thoughts?

I did hold her down and put some eye drops in her eye … and though it looked fine inside of her eye, I did see a little bit of goo come out when I put the drops in.

FWIW, I'm in FL … it's ridiculously hot right now … in the 90s daily.

2. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    She may have dirt or something dusty in her eye, or she could have scratched it with her claws. I would keep putting eye drops/cream in each day a few times. Some antibiotic cream maybe a good idea also if it is gooey

3. 10xmama

10xmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    I put drops in her eye for 3 days and she seems fine now. Whew! I was a little worried but she must have just had something in it. So glad it doesn't seem to have been anything serious.

4. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Well that's good that she is all better then :)

5. ldamants

ldamants Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2015
    Memphis, TN
    What eye drops did you use? I have a hen that is closing one eye this morning. When she opens it, it looks normal. I've read so many treads, that I'm just worried sick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by