Hen with one eye shut and one eye open, what do i do to hep her?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jennychick45, Nov 11, 2014.

1. jennychick45

jennychick45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2014
    texas
    She is separated from the flock. A cold front is passing through with fairly high wind so my family thinks it is from the wind. Anyways she is in my warehouse to keep warm and i have no other place to put her. If you cannot tell i am very new to keeping poultry. My question is should i be really concerned about it? If so what do i do to help it heal faster so she can go back out. I am planning on taking her outside for a little fresh air tomorrow but she will not be with the other girls yet. The eye does open a little when you put your hand right next to it but not very much. It waters a lot. Here is a picture of her eye. [​IMG]
    (the stuff on her wattle is just dirt and is gone now)

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could she have been pecked in the eye or suffered an injury or a sting (noticing the dark spots on the eyelid?) If it's not an injury, it could be a respiratory disease with conjunctivitis and a swollen sinus. For now I would wash the eyes with saline eye wash, and apply either vetericyn eye gel, Terramycin eye ointment, or plain Neosporin twice a day. If you notice any other respiratory symptoms such as snots, breathing rattles, puss in the eye, or sneeze or cough, then I would treat her with Tylan 50 injectable 1 ml daily as a shot or given orally. MG and coryza are the two common respiratory diseases that can cause facial swelling. You can read about them here:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  3. jennychick45

jennychick45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2014
    texas
    Thank you so much I'm hoping she just got slightly injured and it will clear up soon when you say neosporin will triple antibiotics work (sort of a knockoff brand of it) where do I get saline eye wash ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by