Hen with one leg paralyzed

WillowRidgeFarm

Chirping
Oct 8, 2022
I have a hen that had a bound egg two days ago and she prolapsed. I was able to get the prolapse back in and she laid the egg the next morning. Now she has paralysis in her right leg. She has no feeling in the leg. Can she recover? How long should I wait until I decide she won’t ever walk again? I checked for a slipped tendon and she doesn’t have that. It appears to be nerve damage, I’m thinking from the egg being stuck for too long. Advice is welcome too!

Attachments

• CA4C1373-29D9-4E28-8C99-FB315C55AD59.jpeg
    CA4C1373-29D9-4E28-8C99-FB315C55AD59.jpeg
    552 KB · Views: 12
I have a hen that had a bound egg two days ago and she prolapsed. I was able to get the prolapse back in and she laid the egg the next morning. Now she has paralysis in her right leg. She has no feeling in the leg. Can she recover? How long should I wait until I decide she won’t ever walk again? I checked for a slipped tendon and she doesn’t have that. It appears to be nerve damage, I’m thinking from the egg being stuck for too long. Advice is welcome too!
Oh no!! I’m so sorry but I have no idea with these things since I have very little experience with them. Praying your hen heals and that others people who have more experience chime in soon! You’ve got a very pretty hen 😊

Thanks! I’m hoping I don’t lose her, she’s one of my favorites. 😕
No problem. Here, I’ll ask some questions so when others get here they have more info. Can she stand at all? When you look at her legs side by side does the one look more swollen or different in any way? Is there a spot of heat anywhere on her leg? I kinda doubt that there would be since it sounds like a nerve thing possibly but it’s best to rule things out. Do you have her separate for now?

I'd work on getting some Calcium into her.
Calcium citrate with d3, give one tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles and pop the pill into the beak, let her swallow.

Getting B-Complex into (1/4 tablet) along with Vitamin E (400IU) would be a good idea as well.

She may have laid internally and a mass or egg is pushing on her nerves, but hopefully she's just having some reproductive issues that will correct itself over a period of a week or so.
Keep her hydrated and eating.

It's possible that she may be suffering from something else, but vitamin therapy is about the only thing you can try. If you lose her, then investigating further by necropsy, either doing your own or sending to the body to your state lab may reveal more information.

Back
Top Bottom