Hen with one swollen leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Country4ever, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    My hens are 8 years old, so I'm thinking they are going to have some funky things going on occasionally. I've noticed one of my black Australorps breathes heavily at night and sometimes makes some expiratory wheezes. I also noticed that one of her lower legs is swollen. Her foot doesn't look bad, but she does have a little red swelling inbetween 2 of her toes. She doesn't have that scab on the bottom that seems to indicate bumblefoot. Could this still be a variation of bumblefoot? (....bumble ankle? haha). She doesn't limp at all.
    I've started looking at all the hens' legs and some seem to have slightly different sized legs (meaning one is bigger than the other). Is this a normal thing? I don't want to treat her if there's nothing wrong.
    I've given her a few antibiotics and she's freaked out and that seems to stress her more than the swollen lower leg!

I had a sweet hen die suddenly last week, who, upon exam, may have had untreated bumblefoot........so I might be over-reacting in seeing bumblefoot everywhere now!
    I just want to do the right thing for this other hen.

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Can you post a picture?

Maybe it is bumblefoot. [​IMG]

Maybe she pulled a tendon - and confining her for a day or two might help [​IMG]

Sorry I am no help [​IMG]

3. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Thanks Horsefeatherz.......When no one answered this post, I started another one "bumblefoot or neuroma", and a few people have helped.
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by