Hen with partly shelled egg half way out

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Layla1223, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Layla1223

Layla1223 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Idaho
    I went out to take care of my chickens this morning and I found my French Black Copper Maran with a partly formed egg half way out. We isolated her so the other chickens are not picking at it but what else can we do? She has not been laying lately due to a molt. When I found her she was out in the run with the other chickens. She is healthy and about 1 1/2 years old. What can we do? I have never experienced anything like this before. Thank you for your help.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Try to slowly and gently pull it out if it's a soft shell. If it's partly hard, try soaking her in a container of warm water up to her sides/vent for about 20 minutes and gently massage her underside, front to rear. The warm water will help expand her and hopefully the egg will come out. Lube the vent area with olive oil as well.
    Then flush inside her vent in case the shell broke inside her vent, here's a link...post #2.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/637030/sick-chcken

3. Layla1223

Apr 29, 2010
    Idaho
    Thank you!
    I just went out and checked on her and it actually is fully shelled. There was just a lot of goop covering it earlier. The egg is a little farther out now. It looks like it might be streching her vent. Is that part normal? Since I dont have anybody to help me im going to get a spay bottle and try to soak it with water and olive oil. She also has been picked on by the other hens. Im giving her catfood to try to help with the regrowth of feathers and im keeping her sperated. Is there anything else I should give her?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The olive oil around her vent will certainly help make it slip out easier. Check her for lice/mites while your at it just in case. I used to recommend catfood for molt, but dont anymore due to its higher sodium content, not good for a chicken. You'd be better off purchasing gamebird feed which is higher in protein, 22-26% higher than regular layer feed, 16-18% protein. The gamebird feed should stop the picking as well. Crowded conditions can also cause picking. Wean them off the gamebird feed once your hen has regrown her feathers.

5. Layla1223

Apr 29, 2010
    Idaho
    Thank You! I will get some gamebird feed! What is the best way to treat lice and mites? I didnt see any but I would still like to treat them just as a preventitive measure.I am going to go try to soak her now.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I use sevin dust. If you see any abnormal feather loss, excessive preening or scratching themselves...give them a close inspection. Here's a link to help you identify what you're dealing with if you ever run across external parasites on any of your birds:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig140

7. Layla1223

Apr 29, 2010
    Idaho
    Thank You! I soaked her for over 20 minutes. She sat there all by herself and I tried massaging the membrane that the egg is stuck in with olive oil but it didnt seem to help. She is wraped in a towel with a heat light. Is there anything else I can try?

8. Layla1223

Apr 29, 2010
    Idaho
    Should I try soaking her again and massaging with olive oil or is there something else I can try?

9. PsychoChicken

PsychoChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Poor thing! I would try soaking her more. Also as a preventative measure for mites DE (diatomaceous earth - food grade) works well. I spread it in the areas that they dust bathe in and also put it in the coop.

10. Layla1223

Apr 29, 2010
    Idaho
    I feel bad for her too [​IMG] how often do you use the DE? Im going to soak her again and try again with the olive oil or vasoline. Iv called multiple vets but none in our area take chickens, they all just said to try with the olive oil and soaking. [​IMG] Im hoping it works this time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by