Hen with Picking Issues and Shell-less Eggs

EveningPrayer

Chirping
May 13, 2022
I have a one-year-old Black Star hen who is my special case. Had coccidiosis as a pullet; a week of nursing inside got her over it. But since then, she’s prone to pulling out her own feathers with the least amount of change or stress. This has been prevalent for about 3 months. Free ranging helped the most to control the behavior. But last week, we lost half of our small flock to a fox. I can’t let them out anymore. So I’ve been giving her buckets of weeds/soil/insects to peck through in the run, fresh garden veggies… it’s not working. She’s not only pulling out her own feathers all around her rear end and abdomen, but laying shell-less eggs from the roost early in the morning. Her body is unhappy, and I don’t know what else to do.

We are transitioning her from Nature’s Path Organic back to Dumor’s Organic layer, because she seemed to do better on that. However, I will happily take recommendations on other feeds that might help chickens that can no longer free range, especially with weak immune systems.

She has access to grit and oyster shell. There is currently ACV in the water. I worm with Molly’s Herbals (on black soldier fly larvae) and occasionally with oregano oil.

The other hens are not exhibiting these issues.

She has sores on her bottom. We have used Hen on the Mend, Vetrycin, Pick No More, EMT First Aid, Hen Healer, epson salt baths…

While we know the fox attack/no more free ranging exacerbated the behaviors, we are not sure exactly why it started. A friend suggested food allergy, which is why we are transitioning off the Nature’s Path.

Poop looks normal. No discharge or smell from the vent. (The shininess you see in the photo is from Hen on the Mend.)

We have no vets in the area who will see chickens. I can drive 2 hours up to New Bolton (UPenn), but it’s not my the budget. So I’d like ideas here first.

Housing is a 10 x 12 foot coop and a 16 x 12 foot run for the 3 hens. There is a sand “litter box” beneath the roosting bar, and pine shavings for the rest of the coop. The run is dirt bottom and dry.

Thank you for any help. These chickens are very important to my autistic son, and he’s been really grieving since the other three were killed. :( I don’t want to lose another bird, and I just don’t know what else to do.

Attachments

• 5884FA63-AC32-4507-9049-1DC30A119FAB.jpeg
    5884FA63-AC32-4507-9049-1DC30A119FAB.jpeg
    471.7 KB · Views: 29
Give your chickens canned mackerel over the next several weeks and see if the added protein and other nutrients in the fish help this behavior.

I would also give this particular hen a calcium tablet whole directly into her beak for a few days to try to grow a shell on her eggs.

Give your chickens canned mackerel over the next several weeks and see if the added protein and other nutrients in the fish help this behavior.

I would also give this particular hen a calcium tablet whole directly into her beak for a few days to try to grow a shell on her eggs.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate the advice

A little of this high grade animal protein goes a long way. No more than twice a week and no longer than four weeks as high amounts of such concentrated protein over a long period is hard on kidneys. But it should help this hen to stop plucking her feathers.

If it doesn't work, I have another suggestion we'll discuss at that time.

One last question: should the calcium tablet be carbonate (like Tums) or citrate (typical human calcium supplement)?

Citrate is absorbed much more quickly that carbonate, but either will work since this isn't an emergency at this time. In a health emergency, citrate is best because you want it to work fast so it's the form of calcium I advise people to keep handy in their chicken first aid kits.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg

A little of this high grade animal protein goes a long way. No more than twice a week and no longer than four weeks as high amounts of such concentrated protein over a long period is hard on kidneys. But it should help this hen to stop plucking her feathers.

If it doesn't work, I have another suggestion we'll discuss at that time.
Hi. This is EveningPrayer posting (I couldn’t get into my account!) You we’re very helpful with my hen who’s picking out her feathers.

It’s getting worse again. You mentioned you had another suggestion if the herring didn’t work… I’d love to hear it! I’m at my wit’s end with this girl. Thank you.

Pinless peepers can be installed on the feather pickers to inhibit forward vision, cutting down the ability to achieve a target. The peepers require snap ring pliers to install and a little practice, but they greatly cut down on feather predation.

Back
Top Bottom