Hen with poopy butt and tear duct problems - what to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jstlitlome, Dec 11, 2013.

1. jstlitlome

jstlitlome Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    I have a 9 month old white plymouth rock hen who has had a weepy eye since she was a chick. I freaked out and isolated her with antibiotics and everything at first, but nothing helped. We determined that she probably has a blocked tear duct since she doesnt act sick at all. She is my only white chicken and this summer she started having a dark stained poopy butt. I bathed with epsom and isolated her again and gave her probiotics etc, and put her back in the run when she seemed better, but her bottom feathers are always still brown again. She doesnt act sick, but she is just such a pitiful hen. Weepy eye, poopy butt, and her white feathers are always dirty. (she's also not a very smart chicken as chickens go.)

Its winter, and I hate to bring her into our warm garage just to throw her out again. But I'm at a loss as to what to do with her. All the other chickens are very healthy, but I worry that her low immune system might pick up something that she could pass around.

What should I do?

Leslie

2. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

This may sound rood, but I would have prepare her for the pot. You have a healthy flock and to take a change and loose your flock, nope. That is my advice anyway.

3. jstlitlome

jstlitlome Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    No, that doesn't sound rude. We have had that discussion, but we are new chicken owners, and city folk at that, and its just hard to do!

And quite honestly, I dont think I'd eat her, she's just not a very healthy hen!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by