Hen with presumed water belly

Harun

Songster
Apr 10, 2021
A while ago, I noticed one of my hens picking up a bit of weight on her behind. I felt her lower abdomen, and although it did feel slightly bigger than the other hens, I decided to leave her, but remained speculative. Now, her lower abdomen feels substantially bigger than it did last time, and she’s considerably less active than she used to be. She’s still not walking like a penguin yet, but I can almost certain she has water belly, considering one of the other hens from the same breed also had it. Currently, I’m thinking about what I should do. I do have syringes on-hand to suck the fluids out, but I’m wondering if I should wait a bit longer until it’s 100% confirmed whether she has waterbelly or not. On the other hand, I don’t want to wait until it’s too late, because the other hen with water belly died, as I wasn’t able to save her in time. I don’t want to make the same mistake with this one. Anyways, let me know what the best course of action is, and what I should do. Thanks everyone.
— Harun

Is she panting? Was the other hen from the same place as her?
She pants from time to time, but in the afternoon it can get very hot where I live, otherwise I don’t see her panting much. And yes, both hens came from the same place.

If the other one from the same place had it I would go ahead and try treatment, but I am not an expert in this.

A while ago, I noticed one of my hens picking up a bit of weight on her behind. I felt her lower abdomen, and although it did feel slightly bigger than the other hens, I decided to leave her, but remained speculative. Now, her lower abdomen feels substantially bigger than it did last time, and she’s considerably less active than she used to be. She’s still not walking like a penguin yet, but I can almost certain she has water belly, considering one of the other hens from the same breed also had it. Currently, I’m thinking about what I should do. I do have syringes on-hand to suck the fluids out, but I’m wondering if I should wait a bit longer until it’s 100% confirmed whether she has waterbelly or not. On the other hand, I don’t want to wait until it’s too late, because the other hen with water belly died, as I wasn’t able to save her in time. I don’t want to make the same mistake with this one. Anyways, let me know what the best course of action is, and what I should do. Thanks everyone.
— Harun
Did you google water belly in chickens? I watched a video and had to syringe fluid from one of mine a few times. I was more nervous than she was. I faced her between my legs, I was on my knees and inserted the needle on her right side, my left, into a soft spot as there are no vital organs on that side and sucked out a big amount and then the rest drained out onto a towel overnight. She was a different chicken after that. Nice and slim. lol but it comes back and do it again. I think the procedure gave her an extra 7 months.

Did you google water belly in chickens? I watched a video and had to syringe fluid from one of mine a few times. I was more nervous than she was. I faced her between my legs, I was on my knees and inserted the needle on her right side, my left, into a soft spot as there are no vital organs on that side and sucked out a big amount and then the rest drained out onto a towel overnight. She was a different chicken after that. Nice and slim. lol but it comes back and do it again. I think the procedure gave her an extra 7 months.
Or ascites in chickens

Back
Top Bottom