Hen with puffy crop

Discussion in 'Quail' started by lauramacf, May 13, 2010.

1. lauramacf

lauramacf Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2008
    Webster Groves
    One of my coturnix hens has a very puffy breast area, I am assuming this is a problem with her crop and have been trying to research how to help her, but I'm not sure of exactly what is going on.

She doesn't seem to be losing weight, she is laying, and all seemed well with her and I didn't notice anything wrong until I refilled their food tonight, she ran over and started to eat, and as I was about to put the cloth cover over the cage she started jumping at the ceiling suddenly. Then I stopped to watch her and saw that she was kind of bobbing her head or twisting her neck in a funny way, over and over (this is when I noticed the enlarged crop area). I sat and watched for a long time, and the neck bobbing and excited behavior slowly stopped, she settled down, and seemed comfortable, but still a very puffy chest. I took her out and felt it (soft), and massaged the area a bit. I have removed the food until morning (hoping it will miraculously disappear by morning, but just in case I'm asking for input from you guys).

Can anyone give me guidance? Is the advice and information that is out there regarding crop problems in chickens applicable to quail, as well?

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    How is she this morning? I'm betting she just overate and was trying to get it choked down.

3. lauramacf

lauramacf Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2008
    Webster Groves
    Indeed, her crop is much better this morning! Unfortunately, now she has a bloody toe . . . off to post a new question!!!

Laura

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by