Hen with puncture wound - air escaping?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Just_Clucky84, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Just_Clucky84

Just_Clucky84 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Two days ago my barred rock hen, Ima Chicken, was injured by a hawk. It hit her on the right side between her tail and her wing tip. I cleaned the wound and have been putting antibiotics on it. She's been staying inside the house in a large dog crate and has been eating, drinking and walking around. I noticed a constant weird wheezing noise coming from her. I'm wondering if the hawk punctured something and air is escaping from the wound. Has anyone had this happen before? What should I do? I don't want the wound to get infected. I'm really worried about the poor girl.

2. chicchick

chicchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Hi,
    I had a hawk attack 2 weeks ago. I flushed the wounds with saline, then I sprayed tons of bactine in all the wounds, then once I got the wounds as clean as I could, I used crazy glue to close the gash. You dab just a bit on one edge of the gash and then hold it for about 15 seconds. She is doing fine. I also dropper fed her electrolyte water (she really liked that) for the first few days. She had a puncture under her wing, too, but that was tough to crazy glue so I didn't. I thought I heard some "wheezing" and it could have been air moving in and out. Have you checked her for other wounds? Good luck with her!

3. chicchick

chicchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Eastern Massachusetts
    OMG, I just realized we are practically neighbors! - just one town away. Same hawk??? Are you near the river?

4. Just_Clucky84

Oct 5, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I live over by the Wayside Inn so probably not the same hawk. I've never heard of using crazy glue before. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks! [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't know I am sure no dr. but if you close up the wound instead of letting it heal from the inside out isn't there a greater risk of infection?

6. bikerted86

bikerted86 New Egg

Dec 20, 2010
    I dont think I would use crazy glue. If the chicken has a punctured lung sealing the chest cavity could cause its lung to collapse. I have heard of using (on larger animals) plastic wrap taped on 3 sides creating a one way valve to let positive pressure out .

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Oh by the way all you newbies...[​IMG]

8. Just_Clucky84

Oct 5, 2009
    Boston, MA
    We've decided to apply antibiotic ointment and let the chicken do the rest. She's moving around just fine and doesn't appear to be in any pain. She came out and ate dinner with the family tonight. She wandered around the table and "begged" for scraps. I won't be putting her back outside with her "sisters" until the wound if fully healed.

9. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Quote:Agreed. In humans, its called a 'sucking chest wound'. I don't know if you call it the same in chickens. You can google it for more info, but when in doubt; do nothing. If she is doing ok, I'd be tempted to just let her be...

10. DPC poultry

DPC poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Mt. washington Ky
    I think she will be ok if she isnt showing any pain
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by