hen with purple lump

J_lovely

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2022
hello, i once again return in need of help, my lovely hen passed away today, she was active and laying. it was unexpected. her beautiful head with feathers being pointy, her wings extended, and laying where she usually lays. she was stiff and seemed as if she was frozen. i checked her vent and it seemed swollen with a huge lump expanding it, she last laid an egg yesterday, and now she’s gone. i don’t know if it was an egg failure or something. i would really appreciate if anyone could help me. i feel horrible, i never wanted to lose her, and now here i am without my hen. i really appreciate the help thank you.

Sorry for your loss. It sounds like she has a prolapsed vent. Did it appear that her vent had been pecked by the others? Would it possible for you to open her body to do a necropsy? Did she look normal when she laid the egg?

Sorry for your loss. It sounds like she has a prolapsed vent. Did it appear that her vent had been pecked by the others? Would it possible for you to open her body to do a necropsy? Did she look normal when she laid the egg?
thank you, her vent didn’t stemmed pecked as she was the one who did most of the pecking room others but never was aggressive, she did look normal whenever she lays eggs and i don’t think i could have the guts to open my friend. i apologize.

Can you post a picture of her, especially her vent? That might help someone here to identify what happened.

I'm so sorry. :hugs
thank you, this is the vent and i really hope to find an answer to be at peace with myself

Attachments

• A7D98A9D-FFED-46E0-A1D9-EEBF6BA8BA8A.jpeg
    A7D98A9D-FFED-46E0-A1D9-EEBF6BA8BA8A.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 3
I understand. I know it can be hard to do a necropsy on a pet. I do them just so I can find a reason why one died or was sick. She may have been egg bound, even though she had already laid an egg earlier. Sometimes they can have an egg right behind the first if there has been a slowdown.

She might have burst a blood vessel while laying an egg and bled out in her abdomen. So sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom