Hen with respiratory distress day 2

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by QueenBubbles, Sep 21, 2015.

1. QueenBubbles

QueenBubbles Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2014
    Davis, CA
    My 1.5 yr old hen has been breathing hard, mouth open, weezing with whole body. She is the only one (of 4 hens) that is having this problem. There is no discharge or clogged nares. I suspect it is from me spilling the diatomaceous earth. That stuff comes out of the bag in globs. It has also been hot and me air not great.
    Anyway, is there anything I can do to help her breathing? It sounds and looks like an asthma attack.
    I don't think it is an infection but since it hasn't resolved, I brought her in and will keep her in tomorrow, too. Every thread on this topic seemed to end in RIP. :(
    Thanks!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I would suggest isolating her ASAP. There are a number of threads if you enter "respiratory disease" in the search bar.

Good luck!

CT

3. QueenBubbles

May 25, 2014
    Davis, CA
    Thanks. I have her inside. It looks like VetRx is the thing to try. I'm going to get the human vaporizer going for tonight.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I doubt diatomaceous earth would cause such a bad infection. How well do you clean out your coop? She could have Aspergillosis.

5. QueenBubbles

May 25, 2014
    Davis, CA
    It was pretty thick and dusty. Their coop gets done every day but the run is only once a week, except this last time it was 2 weeks and then I put the DE on the poops to keep the flies down. I lost my funnel to fill the DE applicator and tried to dispense it from the bag and got several large piles of DE.
    I got it all swept up today.
    It is odd that she is the only one, but she is also the bottom of the pecking order. She could really have anything including gapeworm as I've never wormed them.

6. QueenBubbles

May 25, 2014
    Davis, CA
    Update: Red is doing a bit better! She is closing her mouth between gasps and it doesn't sound quite as labored.
    I have a humidifier by her and put tiny dab of Vicks vapor rub on her beak and some on her legs and feet.
    I'll get the VetRx tomorrow. Maybe NutriDrench for extra vitamins?

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Yep, vitamin supplements will help strengthen her immune system..

Good luck!

CT

8. QueenBubbles

May 25, 2014
    Davis, CA

Red when I brought her in - day 2 of this labored breathing.

Grrr that link doesn't work!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  9. QueenBubbles

May 25, 2014
    Davis, CA
    Just got back from Higby's with Tylan, VetRx and NutriDrench ($48) to find Red breathing totally normally. I gave her an egg this AM before I left and she just finished it. I have the room dark and she is going back to sleep. It was a rough night for both of us.
    She does have runny poo and her butt feathers have white crap stuck to them.

I'm stumped. What should I do now?

10. QueenBubbles

May 25, 2014
    Davis, CA
    I put her back outside after another couple hours with vaporizer on and no weezing/gasping. She drank a bunch of water and then went to the nest box.
    I'm hoping it really was the combination of environmental factors and the vaporizer helped wet down the DE.
    If not, at least I have all the meds for a respiratory illness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by