Hen with respiratory issue and duramycin question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luvmychickas, Dec 16, 2009.

1. luvmychickas

luvmychickas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I have a layer who lays everyday who has been wheezing/sneezing. I have her separated from the rest and started her on duramycin. I have looked up everywhere and really haven't gotten an clear answer. Can her eggs ever be eaten again? Thanks [​IMG]

2. LoveMyChicklets

LoveMyChicklets Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    Lapeer, MI
    We had the same problem with members of our flock. I used Duramycin at first and didn't see any positive results. In fact they got worse. I ended up buying Tylan 50 (injectible) and giving them 1/2 cc in the mouth for 3 days. Worked miracles and everyone is better!!!

But as far as your egg question.... we started eating the eggs after the Duramycin treatment but waited a total of 2 weeks. We have started eating the eggs again after the Tylan treatment but also waited 2 weeks. I noticed no changes in the eggs and we personally have not experienced any problems.

Hope that helps!

3. luvmychickas

luvmychickas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Thank you so much! I was reading about the Tylan. I think I will be getting some of that [​IMG] thanks again! I was definately planning on waiting atleast a month before I started eating them just to be safe [​IMG]

4. LoveMyChicklets

LoveMyChicklets Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    Lapeer, MI
    Not sure what you plan on doing with the eggs now but hardboiling them and feeding them back to the chickens has terrific nutritional value for them. Plus they love it [​IMG]

5. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Tylan can produce false readings on blood work. If u have someone on heart meds =better safe than sorry!

6. NewHobbyForMe

NewHobbyForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri
    Hi, just wondering how your girl is doing. I've got one wheezing. She hurt her foot or maybe broke it and I have her in the house. Put her back out with the others for one night (bad choice) now she is wheezing and does not want to eat. I will get Tylan today. I've been giving her Duramycin because that is all I have right now. Please let me know if the Tylan is working for your girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by