Hen with rooster inflicted wounds...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oldchickenlady, Dec 20, 2010.

1. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Ok, I posted the other day about finding one of my BO hens with a bare spot on her back. The skin just looked scraped almost raw, but didn't see any skin tears or rips. I put some vaseline on the raw looking skin and kept her in the dog crate that night. DH let her out yesterday, then put her back in last night. So I check her this morning and did find a couple of tears in the skin. I washed off the vaseline and sprayed the area with Vetericyn, a spray on antibacterial/antifungal that I use on my dog and horses. I checked the label and it said nothing about using it on poultry, but it also didn't say NOT to, so I used it. Then I put a big gauze pad over the raw/bare spot and used that stretchy vet wrap tape to secure it. I wrapped it under her wings, around her body in front of her legs, making sure it wasn't tight-just tight enough to hold the gauze in place. Then I used paper tape on top of the vet wrap tape, to secure it better. She sat through all this mostly very quiet and tolerated it very well. Now, my question is...should I isolate her or the freaking obsessed roo? None of my other hens are looking so pitiful. This morning when I let them out (her too) he made a bee line for her! She ran to me screaming! So I know it must hurt like heck when he mounts her. I am soooo mad at him! He has 10 other hens! I ran him off and she went into the run and settled down at the back of it in a spot they like to dust bathe. She is actively avoiding him! I have a huge dog crate I can use to isolate him or her. If I isolate him would that possibly break the fixation he has for her? I am leaving town this Friday and the chickens will all be together in the coop/run for 3 days. I had planned on putting her back in with the rest of the chickens for those 3 days, but now I am afraid to do that! A friend of my boys is going to check on them, but I don't really trust him to feed/water an isolated chicken. If I fill both my waterers and feeder, they have enough to get by for 3 days. Any suggestions....?

2. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    roosters can be such jerks! you can order a "Chicken saddle" online to protect the hen's back, even though the hen isn't likely to enjoy it. also try filing the roosters toenails and spurs. when you get back home, try seperating her for a week or too to let her wounds heal and her feathers start to grow back. i once had a hen living in the basement for about two months while her feathers grew back in and by the time she want outside, she was able to beat up the rooster!

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Get that poor girl a saddle! I made some out of a pattern I found here. I got a piece of fleece on sale (it has tiger stripes- hideous) and I keep it around for just these emergencies. I don't bother trying to wash the saddles when they get nasty . I just toss them and make a new one. My roo is fixated on my EEs, who are tiny in comparison to him and he made them both barebacked in record time. A saddle helps a lot.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

4. oldchickenlady

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I just love this site! I decided since I have to travel this weekend and all the chickens will have to be together, I better get on here and check out some saddle patterns. I found one that was made out of fleece, no sewing required, just 2 holes to slip over the wings and another hole to slip over the tail. I didn't have any fleece but I did have some old T-shirts of mine that are heavier than normal T-shirts. I cut a trial saddle from some thin t-shirt material, tried it on her, figured out the adjustmensts needed, then cut out a double layer of the thicker material. I had already done some bandaging on her, so when I slipped the chicken saddle on her she had a nice thick layer of material on her back. She hid in the coop or run all day, while the rest of the chickens free ranged in the yard. Then tonight when Rudy Roo went into the coop, she came out! Bless her little chicken heart, she is avoiding him like the plague! I decided instead of putting her in the dog crate again tonight, he could stay in it. I may leave him in there all day tomorrow and tomorrow night to give all the girls a break!

5. oldchickenlady

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Quote:He doesn't have spurs yet, just some knobs, but I will check out clipping his toe nails a bit.

6. oldchickenlady

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I went out to check on Rudy Roo in his "time out" crate...he is quite irritated! Too bad. Then I went over to the run to check on my girls and the 'picked on' hen still had her chicken saddle on. So, I am pleased with finding this great, no sew design. At this time of year it is non-stop cooking, cleaning, wrapping, shopping, etc. etc. I really appreciated that I didn't have to drag out the sewing machine to fix this poor girl up with a saddle. Later today I will go get her and take off the saddle and bandage and check out her back and respray with the Vetericyn. Everyone have a great day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by