Hen with skinny, flat butt

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dogdollar, Sep 19, 2010.

1. dogdollar

dogdollar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    I am wondering......
    I have nine hens and eight of them have wide, fluffy butts.
    One of my production reds is different, though. She is a very trim little hen, healthy and in fine feather, but she has a skinny butt...she doesn't have that "bloom" of fuzzy feathers in her vent area like the others do. I'm not sure if she's laying or not...my hens just started laying in August and there are only a few that I have actually caught in the act...but she's healthy and lively.
    Is this indicative of anything?
    DD

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    My Production Red is the same way. All the other girls are fat and fluffy and she is skinny. She is just as healthy as the rest of them and lays everyday for me.

3. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    You're probably used to the dual-purpose breeds (Rocks, Wyandottes, Orpingtons, Australorps) which are very broad, meaty girls since they are also eatin' chickens. Production Reds and Leghorns (and I'm sure others) are strictly egg producers and are built smaller. Just as a comparison, Leghorns get to be about 4 1/2 pounds and Orpingtons can get to be 8 to 10 pounds, depending on what chart your looking at. My one Production Red gave us her first egg today and she doesn't look nearly as big as my Orpingtons who aren't laying yet. Also, production birds lay earlier than dual-purpose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by