Hen with sneeze... Please Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chklvr0307, Mar 20, 2013.

1. chklvr0307

chklvr0307 New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    Hello Everyone!

How did I not find out about this site sooner ?!? I have spent most of the day just reading and looking at this site. But I do have a question.

I am new to chickens, Have had them about a year or so. Last November, I had a heat lamp in my coop and it broke. The metal piece came off and it dropped into the shaving and caught the coop on fire. Luckily I found it quick enough that it didnt burn the whole thing down. I did loose 4 chickens and 9 survived.

My question is, since the fire I have one hen that sneezes a few times through out the day. No discharge, No swollen eyes, No yellow mucas or anything. Her poop is fine, she eats and drinks like normal. Happy fine hen. So could this be from ingesting so much smoke? I am not quite sure how long it was on fire. But when I got in there the ones that survived could barley walk, and gasping for air.

There is no stintch from her or anything. Just a little sneeze. I have read on here that most people say that if a hen has a sneeze it is incurable and they need to be culled for the risk of spreading it to the rest of the flock.

So any answers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. buttonquailchic

buttonquailchic Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2012
    That's stupid. A sneeze won't do anything. One of my quail has a sneeze- I didn't have a fire or anything -and it ended up just being because she had some stuff stuck in her nostrils. Just clean out the hen's nose, and she should be fine. The sneeze thing is stupid and has no relevance unless other symptoms occur.

3. chklvr0307

chklvr0307 New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    Sorry :(

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That is not a very nice reply!

5. chklvr0307

chklvr0307 New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    I didn't think so either.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I don't worry about a few sneezes unless one or more of the following are noticed:
    • Depression
    • Weight loss
    • Any odd behavior
    • Vocal changes
    • Anorexia
    • Fluffed up

7. Spikes Chooks

Spikes Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    I don't think the reply above was meant that you are stupid - but that someone saying to cull for sneezing alone was. No need to be sorry!

I do agree that if there are no other symptoms, not to worry. I have an 11 month old Australorp who sneezes from time to time. I worried at first but she never got any other symptoms and she is healthy, eating and laying well. Some girls seem more prone to dust or whatever, and will sneeze just like we do sometimes. See if you can check her nostrils to make sure they aren't blocked - these are very fragile, so I wouldn't go prodding around, myself.

Keep an eye on her, make sure they get some vitamins maybe, or are generally having a good, varied, diet. And post again if any further symptoms develop.

Best of luck
    Katrina

8. chklvr0307

chklvr0307 New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    Thanks for responding! She definitely isn't showing any of those symptoms :)

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You don't need to be sorry! To quote someone else here "the only stupid question is the one *not* asked".

10. chklvr0307

chklvr0307 New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    Thank you Katrina!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by