Hen with spongy, paralyzed leg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sweetly Silkies, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Sweetly Silkies

Sweetly Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    MO
    My Coop
    I went out there tonight and put the chickens away, but when i got outside i had a golden laced wyandotte ( of one year old ) laggin behind. sorta frustrated since it was cold, i hurried and tried to hustle her in, i looked at her and realized one of her legs didnt work. I picked her up (which was easy to do), and inspected. It was spongy, and had absolutely no strength at all, like it was deteriorating, still color, but its vanishing. I have no clue what this is? I have her isolated, help!!

2. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

Do you have a picture? Do you have a vet?

3. Sweetly Silkies

Dec 10, 2012
    MO
    My Coop
    Okay, my dad went out to look and he thinks her thigh bone is broke. How to fix?

4. rbaker0345

That's a tough one. Definitely confine her and keep her as calm and quiet as possible. Usually, when they're hurt and you separate them, they will keep still. Being in with the flock will cause them to try to maintain normal movement in order to not get cannibalized. If you can get her to a vet for an X-ray, it would be ideal. If not, Just keep her from moving as much as possible and look up supplements to increase circulation so that it doesn't become gangrine. Before doing that, you should check for any open wounds, even a small puncture or splinter can cause an entire limb to swell.

5. Sweetly Silkies

Dec 10, 2012
    MO
    My Coop
    I separated her and she is in a kennel outside with a tarp over her. [​IMG]
    No open wounds, but havent checked for any punctures, thing is she isnt swelling at all.
    Sorry, i didnt even see that you replied, lol [​IMG]
    theres not much to see, it looks normal to the eye if you dont see her walking (or limping) weird. and its spongy, and it can be moved in any which way shape or form. No vet, three hours away there is one but i heard he isnt very good :/

6. rbaker0345

Short of waiting and seeing, I don't know what to tell you. I would go online to try to find an avian vet who you could at least call for some advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by