Hen with spurs

I do not have roosters. That is very interesting! I never thought she was the alpha either! Thanks!
Just a thought. We had one this year. We were hoping to experiment with her and see how close to rooster like behavior while still laying but sadly she got too close to the goose nest and the ganders dragged her in the water.

Spurs are normal, even in a flock with roosters. Hen spurs are definitely genetic, for example, Ancona hens commonly have spurs. Spurs are controlled more by genetics than dominance though it might have a factor.
My spur sporting Ancona hen is also my crowing hen. She is one of the senior roosters favorites.

Well, you know, some roosters like a more masculine hen.:p
The first time I heard her I had no idea who it was. I thought some nimrod tossed a rooster over the fence into the pen because I didn't recognize the voice. It's a terrible crow but a crow nonetheless.
I managed to get her on video doing it. The video and audio are off. You can see her crow at the very beginning of the video and hear her a second or two later...

A picture would be helpful. How old is she? I have a 3-4 yr old Wyandotte who has spurs, they are not very large though. What breed is she?
She is a 3 year old red sex link.

Attachments

• B683CD48-9B9C-46C3-9E2C-45905CEC4518.jpeg
    B683CD48-9B9C-46C3-9E2C-45905CEC4518.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom