1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen with spurs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lilshadow, Feb 9, 2008.

1. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Hello everyone, I hope that everyone is doing great today. I thought that only roosters could have spurs, I thought I had 17 hens and 1 rooster, but then I looked and saw 2 others with spurs so I have been calling them roosters. Then I was told last night by a friend that hens can have spurs. I am so confused here. So can they or can't they have spurs? Thanks

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    It is not very common, but hens can have spurs. I have a game/EE cross with 1.5 inch spurs. She is a very good layer.

There is a breed that it is common for the hens to have spurs. I can't remember it right now, but that breed also has multispurred Roosters.

Matt
    Morganton, NC

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I have a RIR hen that has spurs.

One is about a 1/2" long and the other is about 1/4" long.

She is my best laying hen.

4. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Thanks that is good to know...because they sure weren't acting like roosters, they are acting more like hens.

5. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    mine does [​IMG]

6. Frogtown

Frogtown Back 40 Farm

Aug 16, 2007
    South Carolina
    I have a good book on chicken breeds. In this book it show several pictures of hens with spurs: Iwoa Blue, Dorking, Blue hen of Delaware, and Lakenvelder, just to name a few.

7. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Both of my three year old Polish hens have spurs...pretty long ones to boot. I will actually remove them when I do the rooster this spring.

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Obelisk has grown one...she's an older Leghorn hen...she'll be 5 at the end of May.
    Slifer, my hermaphrodite Brahma/Leghorn hen had spurs that were almost 2 inches long.
    I think it's a game breed where the hens have spurs too.

9. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    A couple of my older EE's have them. They're not very big...just sort of little spike things poking out.

10. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    My 4 year-old EE/SLW cross hen has 1 spur and she still lays from time to time. Neither her mama nor her sister has spurs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by