Hen with swelling around eyes and 1 that's bubbling... pics added!!!

Ok... thanks for all the info! She's looking a little worse today and that's why I'm worried the Tylan isn't working. I will continue for another 2 days (since today is day 3) She's roughly 6lbs and I'm giving her a 1ml shot once a day. One a good note.... she managed to lay an egg today in the little nesting box I gave her. I'm no expert but if she were THAT sick wouldn't she stop laying? Looking for a good sign :)

I don't think that's enough, but I've only used it a couple of times at the 40mg/kg dose (see post number 20), so don't have much experience with it. Some peafowl people suggest injecting it into the sinus, but I can't recommend that.

-Kathy

A little update on Coco... she is about the same :-/ She has moments where I think she's looking better and then I'll check again and her eyes are bubbling/watery or nose is running. She's still pretty active though. Talks a lot, laying an egg every other day, eating, drinking, enjoying her pets... If this were a virus, how long would it take to kick it? What do you think? Should I be trying another antibiotic or higher dose of Tylan?

If it is a virus, no antibiotic, no matter how strong, will destroy it. The only thing you can do to treat a virus is to give supportive care (good nutrition, warmth, cleanliness,etc.) to the affected animal, and hope that its body fights the disease off. If no improvement is seen, and the animal appears to be suffering (which I don't think Coco is), culling is the best option. If Coco dies, or you decide to have her humanely put to sleep, I would really encourage you to send her in for a necropsy. Knowing what was wrong with her would certainly help in keeping the rest of your flock safe, and give you insight as to how to treat the disease if it occurs again.

Last edited:
I have looked into doing a necropsy if she passes from this. The only problem I found in doing one is the cost. I'm in Connecticut and UConn charges about $90-$100! I didn't think it would cost that much. Does that sound high to anyone else or is that a common price? So far, thankfully none of my other guys/gals have any signs of what Coco has.

I just saw that one of my girl's has a swollen eye. No bubbles. I did bring in a new hen two weeks ago from a healthy flock. Can you let me know how you obtained the Tylan 50?

I hope all worked out well with yours!

I just saw that one of my girl's has a swollen eye. No bubbles. I did bring in a new hen two weeks ago from a healthy flock. Can you let me know how you obtained the Tylan 50?

I hope all worked out well with yours!
Most feed stores (TSC, Rural King, Southern States, ect.) carry Tylan 50 and Tylan 200 (4 times as concentrated.) Dose is 1 ml injected into the breast for 3 days, or given very carefully by mouth for 5 days. A swollen eye can mean mycoplasma, coryza, or other diseases. If there is a bad smell, it might be coryza, so sulfadimethoxine would be a better drug. Those diseases will make them carriers for life. Here is some info about the diseases and symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom