Hen with swellings of lores (on face between eyes and beak). Not sure what this is!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SillyMissLily, Jan 19, 2014.

1. SillyMissLily

SillyMissLily Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2014
    Colorado, western slope
    Can anyone help ID what might be going on with this hen?

Background info: she is not mine 100%, she lives at a friend's house, but he knows less about chickens than I do. (We share in the care so I can have my chickens at his house.) He doesn't observe the birds the way I do, so we don't know when this first started, but I would guess at least two months ago, about mid-November.

Hen (Columbian Wyandotte) is just finishing molt, and I noticed the swellings just in the start of molting. Whatever it is does not seem to be transmitting to the other chickens, and does not seem to be causing any other symptoms of illness - clear eyes, nostrils, eating normally, etc. I don't have access to a vet with bird expertise and all of my internet and library searching has turned up nothing.

The soft patch of skin between eye and beak looks like there is a bubble under the skin. Not bleeding, oozing, scabby or anything else, just puffy. Both sides of the head are affected. I am half tempted to lance one side open, to see if this is some sort of abscess, but I don't want to cause further discomfort, or possibly spread something to the other hens!

I am not sure what to do. I am not opposed to culling any ill bird for the benefit of the flock, but her symptoms do not seem to warrant culling just yet. I just have no idea what's going on.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. That is a bit odd, and could possibly be pus under the skin, but if they are perfectly symmetrical, I would wonder if they are just normal. If they are not symmetrical, then I would wonder if they could be tumors or abscesses from a peck or a sinus infection. I would also look at her behavior, how she is eating, and if she is looking sick.

3. SillyMissLily

SillyMissLily Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2014
    Colorado, western slope
    I can't tell if it pus or a growth or something else under the skin. I've tried looking up facial swellings, sinuses, etc. and can't seem to find anything out there presenting like this hen. Possibly sinus infection, but she has been acting normal, eating normal, and not showing any pus, oozing, or anything like that. Her eyes and nostrils are clean and clear. Would love any more suggestions...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by