Hen with swollen abdomen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wynette, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I KNOW I saw a post regarding this recently, where someone indicated they had a hen that they needed to have a fluid-filled lump drained every so often, but I can't find the thread.

My girl is a 10-month old Jersey GiantXNHR. She's been laying without issue (last egg laid was Saturday). I moved her to a new pen yesterday, and when I picked her up, felt a fluid filled area about the size of a small orange down almost between her legs. I was shocked! It felt huge, and not firm at all - like watery. She's eating, drinking just fine and seems normal in every other way.

My DH lost his job in December, and we can't spend the money on a trip to the vet...any help is appreciated. Thanks much!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I wish I could give you advice - I'm hoping if I bump this up someone with the answer will see it. Good luck!

3. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    I have a hen with a lump like that too, but hers is more fatty and solid. Use a large syringe with a needle to drain it, if nothing comes out than stop.

4. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks, Moody.

No one else has ever had this issue? I really would like some feedback from folks who have had this issue....thanks! [​IMG]

5. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    There were like two or three posts like this not too long ago. I'm sure they're floating around here somewhere. This bubble butt is pretty common. A friend of mine had one too, but her bird's butt was rock solid. It survived several years before dying of old age.

6. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Yes, I know I saw at least one of the posts you mention, but for the life of me, I could not find them before posting. I try REALLY hard not to post something that's already been covered, unless I have further questions. But, I couldn't find any other posts that sounded even vaguely similar to what I've got going on. Sigh. My poor girl! And, she has not laid since Saturday (kind of unusual for her), so I'm starting to worry that maybe she's laying internally. Double sigh. [​IMG]

7. vwoods

vwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Spotsylvania, Virginia
    Wynette, I have a red star that is exhibiting some of the symptoms as your hen. I have been giving her palliative care in my kitchen for the last several days. The post had some replies that gave links to several articles/threads on internal laying that you might find helpful. My girl is no better/no worse, I hope yours gets well soon. Have a look at my post and see if any of the links are helpful. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=138126

8. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks, vwoods - I'll go check it now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by