Hen with swollen and infected wattle. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Princess Amri, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    My three-year-old hen, Cutie-Pie, has a nastily infected wattle. It's scabby, the skin around the scabs is yellowish, and her cheek is a bit swollen because or it.
    We first noticed the problem a few weeks ago when we got our flock back from some friends (long story). We've been using a triple antibiotic ointment which is also supposed to help dull the pain in hopes of helping her to recover. However, the infection seems to still be getting worse. Maybe we just aren't applying the stuff regularly enough?
    We're putting the antibiotic stuff on her wattle about once every two days, mostly because we aren't great at remembering to do it. We're going to start using it more regularly now, though.

Should we be trying something else, or should I just keep putting antibiotics on it? I would really appreciate some advice!

I can also get some pictures if necessary.

Thank you!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    she might need more than topical now you might want to either give her antibiotic by injection or at least in her water, separate her from the rest of the flock so you'll only be medicating her. Hopefully with a little more TLC she'll be fine. also be sure that what ever you use topically doesn't have any pain relief that ends in caine. looking at the list of meds for Bacterial infection Aureomycin powder is reccomended, also you might try Blue-kote on the outside being careful not to get it in her eyes or mouth. also Penicillin powder is also reccomended.

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely check out all of those things, and I'll read the label on the antibiotic ointment more carefully before I use it again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by