Hen with swollen back side retaining liquid, help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Trophamus, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Trophamus

Trophamus Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    I need medical advice on a hen quite quickly. Jam is roughly 2 and a half year old ex battery hen, about a week ago(probably less) a noticed she was waddling on a closer inspection she had an incredibley swollen abdomen and vent, then next day my dad lloked at it and got a bit of brown liquid out. Earlier today he tried again,after i had given her a bath (she enjoyed it alot), by putting a finger in her vent her said he could feel a large lump that he could loop his finger around and moved around abit inside her, but is not an egg, more lumpy feeling. When he took him finger out a massive gush of this liquid came out and by putting more preasure on her back side loads more came out [​IMG] . she is incredibley skinny at the moment although she is eating something at the moment. What on earth is this?! I need some help as im clueless and I don't think she will be lasting that long.

thanks is advance [​IMG]

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    It sounds like it could be an internal laying issue.
    Try doing a search on internal layer to see if that is what it sounds like.
    Speckledhen(one of the moderators)has a thread going right now about her hen Ivy that was lost to this-maybe look at the first few pages of that thread to see if you can get some info.
    I think it's in the Pictures and Stories of my Chicken section.

3. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

organicfoltzfamilyfarm Songster

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  4. Trophamus

Trophamus Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    Thanks, iv had a look but the differance seems that her hen seemed to have an infection and yolk but mine had loads of brown liquid [​IMG]

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I believe at some point, she pulled quite a bit of brown liquid from her hens abdomen-that brown liquid is caused by the fact that she has an infection in the abdomen, if I'm not mistaken.
    Internal layers cannot pass eggs-this is what causes the abdominal infection.

6. Trophamus

Trophamus Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    ok, so i don't suppose there's much i can do for her then.[​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

High production hens are prone to egg peritonitis and internal laying. You can drain that, but it will fill back up. You can give antibiotics, but they may have limited and temporary effect. Battery hens are the most high production birds there are so I feel you are dealing with a terminal condition, as I have many times with my girls.

8. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

organicfoltzfamilyfarm Songster

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    I've heard that most people just cull.

I'm sorry [​IMG].

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

This is what is inside your hen. This is from only one draining. We did this two more times, but it's all back in Olivia's abdomen.

[​IMG]

10. Trophamus

Trophamus Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    hmmm thats not good news, but i understand putting her down might be the best thing to do [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by