Hen with swollen comb and face

ZieglerEstate

In the Brooder
Nov 6, 2018
Wondering if anyone has seen something like this? Our Snow White, a one year old Leghorn, stayed in the coop yesterday morning, so I checked on her. She had a swollen comb and face. I pulled her aside, and 12 hours later she was dead.

I don’t see an injury or a bite. Wondering what it is so I don’t lose more to it.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 311D07ED-C052-46C6-ABF5-5D64516C58A2.jpeg
    311D07ED-C052-46C6-ABF5-5D64516C58A2.jpeg
    384.1 KB · Views: 15
Wondering if anyone has seen something like this? Our Snow White, a one year old Leghorn, stayed in the coop yesterday morning, so I checked on her. She had a swollen comb and face. I pulled her aside, and 12 hours later she was dead.

I don’t see an injury or a bite. Wondering what it is so I don’t lose more to it.

Thank you in advance!
So sorry for your loss. :hugs
Did you check for a sting mark?

Nothing on the comb or face. Seems pretty localized, left eye and face were unchanged. Only the right was swollen.

Can you preserve the body and refrigerate it in a plastic bag, to send or take it to your state vet? Where are you located? I would be concerned that it might be infectious coryza, fowl cholera, or avian influenza. Did she have any respiratory symptoms? Knowing your location can help. Have their been any outbreaks of chicken diseases in your area? So sorry for your loss.

Many diseases including respiratory diseases can cause swollen face and wattles, but the comb is usually not swollen. Was he comb also bluish? Did she have any bad odor around her face? Was there any way she may have been stung by something? A tick, or bee can cause a lot of swelling in the face, wattles, and comb. Do you know what caused the blood spots on the comb—pecking possibly? There is not an outbreak of avian influenza in the US at this time, as far as I know. Do you have other farm animals or any rodent problems. Sorry for all of the questions, but I was just trying to help you find out what caused this death.

Thanks! I can preserve the body, great suggestion! I am in North Texas, just outside of Fort Worth.

No other farm animals, she was one of 7 adult hens. One adult Roo. We have about thirty chickens that are from 1 month to 5 months. Mostly hatched onsite. Also three baby ducks from Tractor Supply.

My guess was sting or bite...but do not see a mark. She was breathing hard this morning...just in the hours before passing. Seemed to be breathing fine last night when I separated her.

Back
Top Bottom