Hen with swollen eyelid

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jwinders12, Sep 30, 2016.

1. jwinders12

jwinders12 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2014
    Vera, Ok
    My Coop
    I have a hen with a large swell on its eyelid. I have given tylan and sprayed it with vetricyn (??) nothing has changed. I have her separated from the rest to make sure she isnt bullied to death and doesnt spread what she has. This has gone on for 2 weeks it got better briefly then swelled back up. I am at a loss for what to do. Any ideas?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sometimes if there is pus in the sinus, it may need to be removed if possible. There are many threads to read about removing pus plugs if you search the box at the top of this page. How is she doing otherwise, as far as eating drinking, and getting around? Is she sneezing, gasping, or wheezing? How much Tylan are you using, and are you giving it directly by mouth or in water, or by injection? There have been some threads about swollen eyes infected by foreign bodies, such as seed pods or dirt, so it may be good to look inside the eye carefully. Terramycin eye ointment is good for use in the eyes, and your vet may have better ones.

3. jwinders12

Jul 10, 2014
    Vera, Ok
    My Coop
    I have read through the other threads but none of the pics seem to look like what my chicken has. The tissue around the eye isnt swollen just he eyelid above the eye. I was told this weekend to try Terramycin so I will get some this week. She is doing great otherwise she eats drinks looks healthy. She is even laying eggs still. We gave her .5 CC i believe it was, by mouth for 5 days But that was 2 weeks ago and we saw no improvement.

When I looked at her yesterday evening some the swelling had gone down on the eyelid but wasn't because of anything I did. I just have her separated so she wont get picked on (she was being bullied before and was always off by herself).

Thanks for the suggestions.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you post a picture of her face? Mycoplasma (MG) and infectious coryza are common respiratory diseases that can cause sinus swelling. Others could be a foreign body infection of the eye or a tumor. Coryza usually causes a bad odor around the face of a chicken. Here is a link for many pictures of swollen faces to view, and if you click on each page, you can go to an article to read about possible causes:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=swe..._AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=swelling+in+chicken's+eye

5. jwinders12

Jul 10, 2014
    Vera, Ok
    My Coop
    i would say it resembles the first one with the swollen eyelid the most. I will get a pic of her tonight when i get home. No bad odor or anything. The eye itself is fine it dilates just as it should i guess i need to lance it open which is what i was afraid i was going to have to do. Thank you for the link!

6. jwinders12

Jul 10, 2014
    Vera, Ok
    My Coop
    [​IMG] that's the best I could get of her without having someone to help hold her.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would try some warm wetcompresses to her eye for 10 minutes a couple of times a day while you hold her. Look up into the roof of her mouth and see if there is anything present. Pus has to be removed manually, using tweezers, QTips, or even manicure tools. A vet may be helpful, but you will definitely need an extra pair of hands. Here are 2 good threads to read that eventually show how to remove pus plugs from the eyes:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/927650/help-extreme-eye-infection-chorzya-cholera-injury
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1071718/nasty-eye-infection-pics

8. jwinders12

Jul 10, 2014
    Vera, Ok
    My Coop
    There needs to be a warning on that first link haha. I will have some extra hands to help so I will see what I can do. I have pushed on it before and it wasn't hard at all seemed to be very soft. Thank you again for the information.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry about the graphic photos, LOL. I hope you can get her fixed up. Let us know how she gets along. Each post or picture can be helpful for those in the future that read these threads.

2 people like this.
  10. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    :goodpost:

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by