Hen with swollen eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GammaPoppyLilyFlutter, Aug 6, 2015.

1. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Yesterday I came back from vacation and noticed my 5-year-old Cochin hen has swelling in the fleshy part around both her eyes. She has plenty of energy and a hearty appetite, but it seems to be slightly impacting her vision- she got a corn cob yesterday and pecked beside it a few times when she was trying to take a bite of it. It doesn't seem to be causing her any pain and otherwise she is perfectly healthy, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what is causing the swelling and how I can treat it. There is no discharge or abnormal fluids coming from her eyes.

2. 1968Lisa

1968Lisa Hatching

Aug 6, 2015
    Snap, mine is in one eye, side of head is swollen, pushing eye out, looks abit messy, not got better from washing it

3. 1968Lisa

1968Lisa Hatching

Aug 6, 2015
    No fluid coming from eye, 5 years old, would antibioti eye drops help, if yes where to get them from please

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Eye swelling can be a sign of sinus infection and respiratory disease, such as MG or coryza. Usually, there are other respiratory symptoms, such as eye or nasal drainage, noisy breathing, cough, or sneeze. Occasionally, they can be pecked around the eyes, or be stung in the face by an insect. Look for any small sting mark or peck wound. Here is a link about the most common diseases including the respiratory ones: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: