Hen with swollen face and mouth sore

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lincy, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Lincy

Lincy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    Tamera has a swollen face (only one side) and what appears to be a sore in the corner of her mouth. It almost looks like bumblefoot in her mouth. She didn't eat or drink much today, but layed an egg. She is a little lethargic. I have her inside away from the others. Ideas on what I should do? Thanks! [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would try to get her to a vet tomorrow. It may be canker or trichmoniasis, a protozoan infection,mwhich is very contagious. If it is canker, the treatment is metronidazole (Fish Zole, Flagyl) 250 mg given in 2 divided doses of 125 mg or 1/2 tablet twice daily by mouth for 5 days. You can Google canker for pictures and good articles. FishZole is easily found online in 250 mg tablets.

3. Lincy

Lincy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    Thank you. My vet will not treat chickens. It doesn't really look like canker. The swollen cheeks are filled with hard puss. There are black scabs that pull out cheese looking stuff. There is more in the holes left behind. Any ideas? Is she just infected?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  4. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    I watched a vet show once, I watch alot of them, and one vet was treating a chicken with a swollen eye. Really big and swollen. Chickens have hard pus. He just opened her eye (it was swollen shut) and pulled the pus plug out and I think applied eye antibiotics. So, if you are up to it, take the pus out, but wear gloves, and put her on some antibiotics would be my suggestion.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I saw that show also--The Aloha Vet. Sadly, he died of cancer after the first season of the show. I am addicted to all of the vet shows, but many don't know much about chickens and their diseases.

6. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    Oh gee. I didn't know that. One of the shows I watch now, the Colorado vet, was also diagnosed with cancer. Saw that on the last episode. So sad.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hopefully he will recover. I saw the promo for that, but missed the episode. Have to watch the reruns.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by