Hen with swollen face, please help!!

mandarin1

Songster
7 Years
Jun 13, 2015
My hen has half of her face really swollen. The other side is completely fine so I'm not sure what to do here. She is separated from the flock and I gave her some benadryl, but any ideas on how to treat her? She is eating and drinking and acting normal otherwise. Please help!!
1026181726.jpg

My goodness, that medicine in the picture has sulfa, tyloisin, tetracycline and other drugs. What is the name of that? It seems like every possible medicine for respiratory diseases. Is that for coryza? Are you in the US? The benadryl probably is not necessary unless you think it is a sting. Have you had previous respiratory disease in the flock? Those can cause the flock to be carriers, and diseases may occur during molt or periods of stress.
Doxycycline or baytril are also good for respiratory, but I would choose one medicine and stick to that. Don’t throw too many things at her at once. Probiotics are also good to use during and after antibiotics.
Yes, I am in the U.S. and casportpony is correct, I got it from allbirdproducts.com. It's $40.00 a bottle plus shipping, so it's not cheap. They just call it respiratory soluble powder. I used it on a peahen that had some wheezing issues because the oxytetracycline wasn't working. She was able to clear up whatever the issue was with that, but because it is so expensive and has so many different medications I don't want to use it unless the other antibiotics I have do not work. It says it's for gram negative and positive bacteria responsible for respiratory infections and it's supposed to reduce mucus and inflammation. I just didn't know if this was a respiratory issue or something else and if one of the other antibiotics I had would be better to try first. I will also give her some probiotics as you suggested, so thank you again for the suggestions!

Do you see any bubbles or foam in her eye? Is there any nasal drainage, chest rattles, bad odor, or cough? Facial swelling can be from a respiratory disease such as MG or coryza, but may also be a result of a sting, or peckwound. Sometimes they can get an eye infection from a foreign body such as a seed pod or piece of dirt. Rinse her eye with saline, and apply some antibiotic ointment such as Teramycin ointment from the feed store or plain neosporin ointment twice a day. Make sure that she drinks enough water.

If you think she has a possibly respiratory infection, I would get some Tylan50 injectable from the feed store. Dosage is 1/4 ml per pound of weight given 2-3 times daily for 5 days. Remove the needle from the syringe, and give the medicine orally, a drop or two at a time, so she doesn’t choke. You could also get Tylan powder to give in the water, but it has to come from a vet with a prescription.
So I did see some bubbles in her eye but have not heard any cough or chest rattles. No nasal drainage that I can tell and I cannot see anything obvious in her eye or any obvious wounds or stings but I will definitely clean it and put Neosporin in it. I do not have the tylan but I do have a respiratory soluble powder that has several different antibiotics in it including tylosin. I also have oxytetracycline, doxycycline, baytril, and medistatin. Should I continue with the benadryl for the swelling or will that not be beneficial? Here's a pic of the respiratory powder I have:
1026182041.jpg
thank you again for your help!!

My goodness, that medicine in the picture has sulfa, tyloisin, tetracycline and other drugs. What is the name of that? It seems like every possible medicine for respiratory diseases. Is that for coryza? Are you in the US? The benadryl probably is not necessary unless you think it is a sting. Have you had previous respiratory disease in the flock? Those can cause the flock to be carriers, and diseases may occur during molt or periods of stress.
Doxycycline or baytril are also good for respiratory, but I would choose one medicine and stick to that. Don’t throw too many things at her at once. Probiotics are also good to use during and after antibiotics.

Do you see any bubbles or foam in her eye? Is there any nasal drainage, chest rattles, bad odor, or cough? Facial swelling can be from a respiratory disease such as MG or coryza, but may also be a result of a sting, or peckwound. Sometimes they can get an eye infection from a foreign body such as a seed pod or piece of dirt. Rinse her eye with saline, and apply some antibiotic ointment such as Teramycin ointment from the feed store or plain neosporin ointment twice a day. Make sure that she drinks enough water.

If you think she has a possibly respiratory infection, I would get some Tylan50 injectable from the feed store. Dosage is 1/4 ml per pound of weight given 2-3 times daily for 5 days. Remove the needle from the syringe, and give the medicine orally, a drop or two at a time, so she doesn’t choke. You could also get Tylan powder to give in the water, but it has to come from a vet with a prescription.

Wow I'm.impressed with that medicine I never see Medicine with so many salt in.one is that Medicine mentioned for Poultry
If it mentioned Poultry So I say go if not I will be confused ..

I would use BAYTRIL
Cause of it's good results

Back
Top Bottom